SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Car Audio
Need help with audio/electrical re: head unit install - 2001 Crown Vic P71
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 4   |   Total Posts: 4   |   Total Views: 4726
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
ThatJeffGuy
• Costa Mesa, CA, USA
• Registered on 7/9/2011
• 7 posts
Posted:7/9/2011 23:14
I was installing an aftermarket head unit, and before soldering the connections I wanted to make sure that everything was wired properly. I disconnected the negative battery terminal, twisted all the wires together, and while I was doing a temporary tape-job, the negative battery wire slipped back into a position to touch the node. The head unit was not plugged in, the ground wire had not been securely grounded, and some of the exposed wires touched (I don't know what touched what). It sparked, popped, and now there is no power to my new head unit, or the stock radio. Something blew and now the radio wires are just dead. This is an ex-CHP 2001 Crown Vic, with the upgraded alternator and bettery- luckily the car still starts and runs fine and everything else works, just not the stereo wiring.
I checked each fuse under the dash, pulled each one, and replaced it, they are all fine. Is there another fuse along the battery--->radio harness wiring that I can check? Does anyone know what would be the best way to troubleshoot and fix the problem? Thanks for reading this and thanks for any and all help.

CLIFFS:
During headunit install, battery was connected, and some wires touched creating a spark
Radio wiring is completely dead
All other car electrical is fine
Pulled and replaced every fuse in the under-dash fuse box, they are all fine
Head unit fuse is fine
kimikmy
• NewYork, NY, American Somoa (U.S.)
• Registered on 4/25/2013
• 2 posts
Posted:4/25/2013 03:09
Same problem with you. These days I just looking for a car dvd for my camry. Now I bought this 7 inch one last week http://www.justcardvd.com/products/7-inch-Touch-Screen-2-Din-Car-DVD-Player-With-TV--%252b-Bluetooth-%252b-Ipod-%252b-GPS.html? The dvd is great, cheap and has a really good screen but I have no idea about how to install it. I need some one to help me out
FlightMedic
• HornLake, MS, USA
• Registered on 12/16/2010
• 6 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/31/2013 20:03
I ran into some similar problems installing some amps in my PI, if you checked all your fuses under dash, next easiest thing to do is get a voltage tester and make sure you have power at the head unit, if you don't move back to voltage in your fuse box. Also your head unit should have a "on-board' fuse in the back, check there also. In my P-71 "98 model" I have a extra fuse box under the glove box. 3 constant power and 3 ignition on power, This is my 2nd p71 and both has had one.
These are the easier ones I'd check first. Good Luck.
cassielily
• Zibo, GA, USA
• Registered on 4/20/2014
• 3 posts
Posted:4/20/2014 22:13
announced their own five star energy rating system to help consumers more easily identify the most energy-efficient chargers. Chargers are being labeled with no stars for no-load consumptions exceeding 0.5 W, up to five stars for consumption of not more than 0.03 W. Esky D700 3D
Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Car Audio
Need help with audio/electrical re: head unit install - 2001 Crown Vic P71
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 4   |   Total Posts: 4   |   Total Views: 4726
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog