SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
various website to learn from
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 1134
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/5/2012 06:12
Over the past couple of years, I have been answering questions about different problems people have had with their cars. Many have sent me direct e-mails on a specific problem looking for answers. While I have tried to answer many of them, many are way beyond my experience.

I am an old-school general mechanic, self-taught by desire and need. Since the 60's when I purchased my first car (a VW Karmen Ghia), I learned on my own to repair them. I have spent a small fortune on Haynes and Chilton manuals for every car I purchased. Once the new ones were out of warranty, I did my own work. Sometimes I did it right; sometimes I had to redo everything to get it right; and at times it had to go to the dealer for the repairs. I've rebuilt parts (when you could) and rewired entire vehicles (when corrosion was the major problem). I've transplanted engines and transmissions (Olds into a VW bus, Chevy into a Doge, Ford into a VW bug). And all of this was from learning what to do.

With the internet coming of age to the general public, sometimes this learning was easier and most of the time not. The Internet was originally started to allow people to pass information back and forth, trying to solve each person's problem in a specific field. And since the DOT com era, most websites ended up being a sales pitch more than anything else. Searching the various forums sometimes can be frustrating, especially if you are looking for a SPECIFIC cure to a problem. There are times when it is better to search for a general problem, and then look at the specifics. While I have saved money on tons of repairs, I also have spent money on problems beyond my experience.

I wanted to pass on several of the websites and forums I use and read. Most are great, but some are not so great. But here is a list of my favorites that should help most of you people with auto problems with the Panthers.

www.supermotors.net
www.crownvic.net
http://www.cvpi.org/forums/forum.php
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/
http://www.pantherfreedom.net/techlib/index.html
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=147239 - Chilton manuals online
http://www.modularfords.com/forum.php

Never just rely on a specific website for all the answers. If its a Ford, you may need to go to several different Ford forums to search for a solution to your problem. I once had a code come up on my CVPi that said to replace the O2 sensors on the left bank. A quick search online in a Ford truck forum had me searching for a vacuum leak. COST: $1.35 vacuum hose versus a $89.99 EACH for two O2 sensors as advised by Advance Auto Parts.

I hope some of this helps the rest of you. Believe it or not, the more you learn, the smarter you get.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

wizzard1222
• Ballwin, MO, USA
• Registered on 1/27/2011
• 139 posts
Posted:7/5/2012 07:43
Bravo.....!!!!

Thanks for the contributions...you provide almost every time...!!!!
curemode2002
• Lehi, UT, USA
• Registered on 3/8/2012
• 147 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/5/2012 08:31
Thanks! I already joined crownvic.net due to one of your earlier posts in response to one of my questions I will take a look at the others.
HLD
• Rodeo, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/4/2014
• 2 posts
Posted:11/4/2014 11:31
JD just as everone else has said, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, with the rest of us that are brain farting! These new jalopys are very confusing at times, theres nothing like wrenching on old school, just bare bones Brother!Thank once agian!
Alabaster
• Washington DC, VA, USA
• Registered on 11/7/2014
• 5 posts
Posted:11/7/2014 11:05
Great info. I can't figure out how to join crownvic.net, though! I've been approved and sent an activation link, but I still can't log on. It's now saying my acct hasn't been approved yet. Uggh. Someone on facebook page told me to look for a link to creat an email there. They have a sticky on there about it, but I still can't figure it out. Oh well. I'll keep at it until I do. I even wondered if my computer is acting up and just not showing the link they;re talking about!

As for the other links, definitely good stuff, too. I'm hopefully picking up my first CVPI tomorrow and I can't get enough info about them.
Wulff
• Mesa, AZ, USA
• Registered on 6/17/2014
• 10 posts
Posted:11/11/2014 20:11
RIZO of JMOD fame said on his You Tube comments when someone asked why they couldn't join he said it's because the owner of the site has to personally approve any members and sometimes he just doesn't want to. He went on to actually say he is a jerk (not my words, you can find it in the comment section of RIZO's Jmod you tube modification of the 4R75W.
I simply gave up and decided to join PanthersBB.com the guys are great and nobody flames you, I am a Chevy guy and bought a 2009 CVPI and had to do a ton of changes to make an older transmission work and Colin (the administrator) took me step-by-step through it never getting mad and others are helpful as well, some are also members from CrownVic.net but a lot of members (like myself) was never approved by CrownVic so we found another home!
Check 'em out the guys are nice, and they are very knowledgeable and you don't get the flamers that wonder why you want a spotlight or pushbar, etc. just great people!
http://www.pantherbb.com/index.php
XBOMMAN
• HURLOCK, MD, USA
• Registered on 11/26/2014
• 15 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/13/2014 12:38
I had the same problem with crownvic.net, and am also waiting to be approved. I don't think that there is any way to contact them, as I have just about given up on them.
Mine keeps saying to re-register, but won't allow me to.
Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
various website to learn from
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 1134
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog