SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > SUV
Play in steering wheel
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 3192
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
bridger
• sierra vista, AZ, USA
• Registered on 2/3/2014
• 2 posts
Posted:2/3/2014 17:16
I have a 2000 Excursion 7.3. I have a little bit of play in the steering wheel when going down the freeway 80 mph. Its worse pulling my travel trailer. Any suggestion on what to do?
MountainWestDiesel
• Mountain West, WY, USA
• Registered on 2/25/2011
• 95 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/3/2014 18:48
Bridger...

Pick up a Top Gun Customz dual shock steering stabilizer, one w/ Fox shocks, which are pretty heavy duty. I had a sindle shock front steering stabilizer, but it blew out after a trip from WY to Vegas & back. Also, Hellwig makes front and rear anti-sway bars, I suggest adding these too. These additions will tighten up all that play.

MWD
bridger
• sierra vista, AZ, USA
• Registered on 2/3/2014
• 2 posts
Posted:2/3/2014 20:03
I have checked out stabilizer but can not find any made for 2 wheel drive. Do you know if there is someone out there makes one for my application? I was told by someone to tighten up my gear box. Do you think that's an option? Another person told me to make the camber positive on the front wheels, what do you think?
MountainWestDiesel
• Mountain West, WY, USA
• Registered on 2/25/2011
• 95 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/4/2014 00:28
Bridger,
I don't know of anyone who makes 2WD steering stabilizers to fit your application. I would definitely get myself a set of front and rear Hellwig anti-sway bars. This is my best advice. I installed these Hellwigs on my 2005 6.0L PSD Ex, and it helped quite a bit. I tow, but only a Harley on / in a trailer.

The Excursion sits on an F-250 chassis, but Ford installed a softer suspension, that leads to excessive sway, and axle wrap (rear drive tire pushing forward of the rear non-drive tire under quick acceleration).

Look for a set of Radius Rods to prevent rear axle wrap. But for you, I would get myself a set of Hellwigs, front and back, and this should cure about 80% of your sway problems.

dbmcd
• Los Angeles, CA, USA
• Registered on 10/12/2001
• 69 posts
1 Boat
4 Motorcycles
10 Vehicles
Posted:2/5/2014 08:40
Adjusting the alignment could help. I would not mess with the sector shaft setting on the gearbox. I did that years ago expecting to tighten my steering. I found out the infamous screw on the gearbox sets the gear backlash which can only be adjust correctly on the bench. It affects the play internal to the gearbox and will not fix sloppy steering. You would be hard pressed to get it back to the factory setting.
OmahSimbah
• pekalongan, IN, Sri Lanka
• Registered on 11/19/2014
• 3 posts
Posted:11/24/2014 20:28
Postingan diatas keren banget
sambil baca numpang cari rezeki iyaa

Hanya di Agen Bola, Bandar Bola Online, Situs Taruhan Bola, 7meter
anda akan menemukan promosi dan hadiah unik serta lain daripada yang lain.
Agen Bola ini selalu menyediakan promosi setiap periode sehingga sangat menyenangkan anggotanya.
Langsung saja kunjungi situs kami dijamin para member akan nyaman dengan Agen bola terbaik dan terpercaya.
Agen Bola, Bandar Bola Online, Situs Taruhan Bola, 7meter

Bear79
• Stephenville, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/5/2016
• 12 posts
Posted:7/6/2016 12:29
Do not adjust the gear box. That will not fix the loose feeling in the steering. If you tighten it to much the steering will be over sensitive and it will eventually cause the steering gear box to fail. You need to look at all of the steering linkage for being loose or worn. The ball joints and the bushings. Any movement will cause your issue. Check this link that offers Moog tie rods and ball joints.
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/products/ford_excursion_2wd_2000
edited 7/6/2016 12:34
Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > SUV
Play in steering wheel
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 3192
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog