SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
need an OBDII Diagnostics Tool
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 5   |   Total Views: 2615
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
dianahhh
• new york, KY, USA
• Registered on 11/18/2013
• 9 posts
Posted:3/14/2014 19:04
My check engine light is on and I'm considering purchasing a diagnostics tool. Does anyone have any recommendations? I use a Mac, so I need one that explains the codes on the device itself. I also don't need the Rolls Royce of devices.
thanks.
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/15/2014 06:36
Most auto parts houses like Autozone and Advanced Auto will scan it for you for FREE, but if you want one for yourself either go cheap with a simple reader or go PRO with a good one. Be sure you get one that will reset / clear the code, or you will be running around with the code flashing the engine light after the problem is fixed.

A scanner reader can get simply the code, and that is all. Or the scanner reader can get the codes and other information like coolant temps, rpm , MPH, and things like this. The more expensive will get the codes, explain what system the code relates to, a breakdown of how to troubleshoot, plus all other information the computer has stored. PLUS the reset / clearing of the code. The Higher the price, the more information it will pull from the computer.

Here are 3 links to the OBD Scanners. Once you get the code, you can Google it online REGARDLESS what type of computer you have. (I run Linux AntiX.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html#.UyRUVvldUrU

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Code+Readers!s!Scanners/N0664/C0103.oap

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Code-Reader/_/N-25iq

My personal preference is the Actron CP9575. ( http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-OBD-II-and-CAN-Professional-trilingual-scan-tool/_/N-25iq?itemIdentifier=98817&_requestid=4460608 ) It is just short of the type of scanner that explains what the code means. It gives you the codes and what the code relates to.

If you do maintenance on several vehicles, get a good scanner reader. If you don't do much maintenance on your own, get a cheap one. You will need to Google the code and then start reading the results. Be sure to check the forums about the code too. Although the code may be related to one system or systems DOES NOT mean that is the problem.

I once had a code for a bad O2 Sensor.

Cost = $ 95 USD. OUCH

Google search = vacuum leak.

Replaced vacuum line = $1.50

Time spent = 2 1/2 hours

Problem fixed and cleared code.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

edited 3/15/2014 06:49
Robert9
• linui, IA, Uganda
• Registered on 4/15/2014
• 1 post
Posted:4/15/2014 18:31
OBD-II tools are hand held devices that link to your car's on board diagnostics through the data port (under the hood or under the dash). They provide a wealth of information, more than enough for the average DIY mechanic.
carobd2shop.com
rocks69
• Tampa, FL, USA
• Registered on 5/5/2014
• 9 posts
Posted:5/8/2014 17:59
Do you really want to purchase one? I find a good and cheap one at autozone I just forget the brand or as them w/c one they would recommend.
Tonyback
• LA, CA, USA
• Registered on 9/23/2014
• 8 posts
Posted:9/23/2014 23:09
Launch X431 diagun 3 works on both gasoline and diesel vehicles, powerful diagnosis...
Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
need an OBDII Diagnostics Tool
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 5   |   Total Views: 2615
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog