SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
tranny slipping
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 6   |   Total Views: 599
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
dublcaz
• bay shore, NY, USA
• Registered on 4/13/2014
• 5 posts
Posted:4/13/2014 16:35
I just purchased a 97 crown vic. with only 97500 miles on it. I noticed when I accelerate to 50 mph, it seems to hesitate and race ,than the trans kicks in and I have no further problem's. it always does it at 50mph. the trans fluid is right where it should be on stick and is clean (pink) what could that be? thanks carol
curemode2002
• Lehi, UT, USA
• Registered on 3/8/2012
• 147 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/14/2014 08:46
Have you ever noticed a shudder on the freeway? Sounds kind of like running over a washboard in the road.

If you have noticed a shudder and the slippage it could be the torque converter going out. This is a common problem with the AOD Transmissions.

If you do not have the shudder I would recommend a trans service and adding Lucas Oil's Transfix. My 99 had the symptom you mentioned when shifting in to Overdrive and when I serviced the trans and added the Lucas stuff it helped my Overdrive solenoid kick in harder. This stopped my slippage dead in it's tracks.
dublcaz
• bay shore, NY, USA
• 5 posts
Posted:4/14/2014 09:47
thank you curemode2002 for your reply, I don't have a shudder . not sure it has an overdrive and not sure what a AOD trans is. but I might just do as you recommend. I think it only does the slipping when I accelerate hard. I bought the vic from an elder couple in their late 80`s ,original owners ,and they took the car for repairs to pep boys , a chain for car repairs. they did regular mainance, but I did notice they had a tow bracket and they had a boat. was just curious if that's what did the tranny in
edited 4/14/2014 09:48
curemode2002
• Lehi, UT, USA
• Registered on 3/8/2012
• 147 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/14/2014 10:07
Every Vic since '94 has the Ford AOD or some variant if they were towing the boat they should have been using the switch at the end of the gearshift to turn off Overdrive. If they didn't that may have burned up your Overdrive clutch plates. One way to test is to turn off your Overdrive and try driving it the same way you normally would. You will get worse millage but if the slip goes away it is related to the Overdrive. I would still recommend the service first though as the Lucas Transfix can get you a few more miles. You can also take the Vic in to a transmission shop (ask local friends who they trust short of that check the local parts store guys who they like) they can put it through a stress test and tell you what is wrong.
edited 4/14/2014 10:08
dublcaz
• bay shore, NY, USA
• 5 posts
Posted:4/16/2014 08:19
thank you so much for replying. ill let you know when I find out what the problem was
dublcaz
• bay shore, NY, USA
• 5 posts
Posted:7/14/2016 11:48
I'm looking to my my crown vic 1997 in great shape no rust paint in great cond is this I would sell it?
Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
tranny slipping
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 6   |   Total Views: 599
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog