SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
'97 MGM intermittent misfire issue
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 5   |   Total Views: 363
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
FordGuy07
• Birmingham, AL, USA
• Registered on 9/11/2014
• 3 posts
Posted:9/11/2014 08:09
Hello, everyone. New to the site. My Grandad has a '97 Mercury Grand Marq' 4.6 with only 26,000 on the odometer.

For quite a while now (about 5 years or so), it has had an intermittent issue where it will just start misfiring and shaking for no reason. Just going down the road and all the sudden it starts shaking and the check engine light starts flashing for misfire and the A/C shuts off because of it. I'd say it happens maybe once a month and then all of a sudden it will clear right up and run perfect for another month. Here is what we have done to it so far:

New OEM spark plugs
New OEM coil packs
All new OEM plug wires

None of it has made any difference. It's not a big problem since it's intermittent and doesn't last long when it happens, but I just haven't seen this happen on any other Crown Vic'/Grand Marq's. But if anyone could give me some insight on what may be the issue, I would really appreciate it! Thanks.
bc91
• Brooklyn Park, MN, USA
• Registered on 8/7/2014
• 11 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:9/11/2014 19:33
i had this problem with my 2006 besause their was a small crack in the intake and some of the anti freeze would get it the spark plug well and cause the car to miss
FordGuy07
• Birmingham, AL, USA
• 3 posts
Posted:9/12/2014 11:47
Thanks for the reply! I will look into that and see if any of the wells have any coolant in them. Did yours seem to only miss on occasion? I can't seem to figure out why it only misfires sometimes but not often.
bc91
• Brooklyn Park, MN, USA
• Registered on 8/7/2014
• 11 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:9/12/2014 14:41
yes it was random but it eventully got worse
FordGuy07
• Birmingham, AL, USA
• 3 posts
Posted:9/19/2014 06:47
Well, we went and checked all the wells yesterday. No coolant is evident in any of them. Coolant is not a drop low either. Anyone else have any ideas? Kind of stumped here. Another thing I noticed recently; when it starts missing, I can pick up the #7 wire off of the coil pack and snap it back on and it will stop missing immediately. Really weird.
Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
'97 MGM intermittent misfire issue
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 5   |   Total Views: 363
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog