SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
1998 Town Car engine swap
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 3856
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
smoothtc
• Detroit, MI, USA
• Registered on 6/20/2012
• 1 post
Posted:6/20/2012 21:12
I have a 1998 Lincoln Town Car Touring edition. The motor seized and I am looking for a replacement but I figured if I am doing the work than I should do some research as to what model and year I should scavange a moter from. I don't want to make a lot of complecated changes but if it is just some simple stuff I figured I would try to find a newer engine and maybe a p71 model. I don;t want to mess with the ecm either. Anyone know what the differences are?
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:6/21/2012 05:54
Sorry to hear about the seizer. I believe you have a 2v so any 4.6L 2v from 1998 to 2002 should bolt right in with no changes to the computer. However, some of the engine sensors were slightly changed, and you may have to rewire connectors to extend or make the correct connection. Be sure you get a wiring diagram for your car AND for the engine you are installing.

1998 was one year Ford starting making changes to all the cars. And some changes were just for 1998;some for the better (and were carried over to the next couple of years), and some for the worst (and they went back to pre-9.

Now the bust everybody's bubble. The P71 was a HD package done to the Crown Victoria for severe usage, like police and cabs.
The suspension was given HEAVY DUTY parts for minor off-road excursions. Some of these parts are strictly for the P71, as it does have a harsher feel.
The engines were equipt for extended idling (larger fan, larger coolers, additional coolers, higher idle speed). These are the same engines used in the civilian models. Normally a 130amp alternator was used, but some were given the 200amp models due to the type of police package installed (more radios, lights, sirens).
The computer was programmed for higher idle speed, different shift points for the transmission, and higher top end. These can all be accomplished with a tune.
The rear end differential was lower than the civilian model (3.0, usually a 3.27 open ratio. Some did come equipt with 3.27 locked or 3.55 locked. With a lower gear, the car felt like it had more power because you got into the power range QUICKER.

You may want to go to www.crownvic.net , PantherFreedom.net, OR CVPI.org for more info. The Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars are essentially the same vehicles, just a change in luxury levels.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

shiepo
• carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/23/2011
• 75 posts
Posted:7/25/2012 02:21
want also to swap mine i bought the parts of my car at if anyone is interested with the picture please email or pm me. thanks!
edited 2/1/2013 20:38
focinite
• anoka, MN, USA
• Registered on 7/19/2012
• 8 posts
Posted:7/27/2012 09:56
now what all goes into , lets say a 5.4 lighting engine and trans swap? i would figure the trans crossmember and engie mounts and all the small hardware items and what not. the software is what i am really gettin at. is a stand alone required? can i use the lighting pcm and guage cluster. would i be able to correct for taller tires and shorter gears? i am plannig on buying a p71 , as of know i own a svt swapped focus(started out ab auto twin cam ended a 6 speed svt clone) and i need to switch to a larger platform. i am very interested in upgrading the p71 as i am a former ford tech and a current ase master tech, i know these cars from a repair background but not on a performance level. here where i live we have Xgovermentcars.com and that seems to be the best place to pick one up. am hoping to become a member of crownvic.net but still awaiting my invite.
MichaelClark
• Kalamazoo, MI, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2012
• 1 post
Posted:9/3/2012 04:00
My 95 had coils mounted on the front of the engine with spark plug wires going to each plug. The under hood harness would need to be changed to support COPs ignition. Others have said to mount your current coils on the new engine and minimum wiring changes need to be made. The intake manifolds are significantly different, Can his current all aluminum manifold be used on the new engine to ease plumbing, throttle and TV cable problems?

292 chevy engine
FlybyWire777
• st louis, MO, USA
• Registered on 3/1/2013
• 1 post
Posted:3/1/2013 16:04
sorry to hear about the seizure. Not alot of consolation, but I am getting rid of an interceptor engine (4.2). Not the larger like you had, but it might be a cheaper solution than finding a new engine. have the ECM with complete wiring harness if you need it. Just a thought. Good luck.
gmk05
• Las Vegas, NV, USA
• Registered on 1/3/2014
• 1 post
Posted:1/3/2014 02:19
Very nice, thanks for the information.

rental mobil
Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
1998 Town Car engine swap
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 3856
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog