Crownvic.net Readers Rides Forums

cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
4R70W Trans Issue-Please HELP
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 1   |   Total Posts: 1   |   Total Views: 582
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
victorious99
• Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
• Registered on 11/11/2014
• 6 posts
Posted:6/5/2015 23:31
I have a 99 Crown Vic LX non police that I got for free with the trans out of it. The car has 220k miles on it but was well taken care of before i got it and the motor runs like a dream. So to me its worth fixing since it was no cost to me. I got a junkyard trans that is supposedly tested with 84K miles. The trans has a 90 day warranty from the scrapyard, which it is still under but i want to avoid r&r'ing the trans if at all possible. So i Installed and topped off with fluid(mercon V). It shifts beautifully to reverse and drive and from 1st to 2nd without any sort of issue. The problem im having is it acts like 3rd and OD are not there. If I hit the OD off button it will drive around just like a normal car no issues. But when driving with OD on i will get on the highway it will shift from 1st to 2nd and continue in 2nd till nearly 4000rpms then go to neutral and will not grab a gear again till i slow down enough to hit 2nd or turn OD off, which it will then grab 2nd and drive fine. I have checked the fluid level and is right in the cross-hatched area. There are no codes stored. And the OD light never comes on unless i shut OD off.

I have read about a snap ring that comes apart and drops pieces into the valve body that can stop the piston from moving and also about there potentially being an issue with the #2 solenoid as that needs to be on for 3rd and OD to work.

I have put 100mi on the car like this just driving around town with the OD off and there is no sign of any damage to the trans. I have made sure the marks line up on the MLPS or whatever sensor on the shift shaft. My junkyard trans came with one and also kept the one off my trans that was originally in the car, i tried swapping that out and no change. No leaks, odor or flakes in the fluid. My next intended step would be to check the valve body, but i want to get some more opinions before opening it up.

If anyone has any ideas that would help me out i would greatly appreciate it. Or if any questions regarding this i wil do my best to answer. Thanks
cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
4R70W Trans Issue-Please HELP
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 1   |   Total Posts: 1   |   Total Views: 582
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog