Crownvic.net Readers Rides Forums

cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
How to make my 1996 crown vic pi accelerate faster?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 1753
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
getncake
• los angeles, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/6/2010
• 2 posts
Posted:6/6/2010 16:00
I just bought a 1996 crown vic pi. It was a detective car. It has around 127,000 miles on it.

What can I do to make the car accelerate faster off the line?
babyboiakadj
• Detroit/Canton, MI, USA
• Registered on 4/19/2010
• 7 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:6/7/2010 18:55
different set of gears for the rear end.
black_panther
• winnipeg, XX, Canada
• Registered on 10/28/2007
• 3 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/17/2011 09:24
pulleys , port and polish upper intake , bigger tb those are good to start with
Mustang_girl76
• Tucson, AZ, USA
• Registered on 6/13/2012
• 2 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:6/18/2012 15:03

Yes I have a 1997 CVPI and I have been looking into the same. The guy I have change the oil worked on these CVPI's for years. I would support changing out to 3.73 gears for a better hole shot, changing out your tires to the low pro 16's, CAI, and then a JET chip. That should get you off the line fast, but watch your exhaust size!!!!! Too many people make the mistake of taking out to much back pressure and they lose torque which is going to help launch you.

Mine is running a true dual exhaust with a CAT BACK system and I can break the tires loose across 2 lanes of a 4 lane intersection.

V/r,
Shawna Elizabeth
Jill of many trades
focinite
• anoka, MN, USA
• Registered on 7/19/2012
• 8 posts
Posted:8/1/2012 19:52
gears are good to start. possibly even 4.10s. a higher stall converter will help alot. shift kit works wounders. and im not to sure about the exhaust and back presure, but id go with headers to high flow cats to a X pipe into a perf muffler all in 2 1/2 inch. there is always boost!!! the factory heads i hear dont flow that great , so they need to be force fed.
99HotVicp71
• elgin, TX, USA
• Registered on 4/20/2013
• 5 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/21/2013 10:07
A CAI is definetly the best to start with, bigger TB, P&P Plenum, even changing over toa (PI) intake, but exhaust wise just weld on some Performance mufflers and call it a day...
brutalford06
• cape girardeau, MO, USA
• Registered on 4/28/2014
• 5 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/29/2014 00:58
Heres a perfect way of putting it.
Air/fuel upgrades increase hp/tq
dual exhaust 2.5 true with manifolds increase tq and small amout of hp
headers with 2.5 will increase hp and give a small amout of tq.
Rear gears-will change behavior of car slightly without mods. (More accel on low to mid range rpm which isnt enough to grin about more like a twitch.) Mainly to get more bottom you will lose top end power by reduction of gear if you have 2.73s at 60mph you should be around 2200rpm with 3.73s you will be around 2700-3000 at fuel mpgs and wear and tear is more likely an end result.
The point im trying to make is set a budget wait until you have enough to do multiple upgrades in succession so you can record and document differences. And you are 10x more like to finish it and enjoy it when completing a list of mods so you can see, hear, feel, notice, and enjoy the upgrades.
Most ricers are set up in stages and for a good overall amount of mods will allow you to create a level 1, 2 and so on.
this is my first mod motor. ive been building ohv engines for so long and i always buy in packages to suite my customers and my own taste. The 4.6 is a animal of sorts cost, and technically more compicated but real hp comes from the cylinders heads up for 2k id buy cams, headers, tb, a cai, and gears. Thats an easy stage 1. Stage 2 would be all of the above and a (chip or programmer, a good tune) fuel injs and an ignition upgrade pulleys and fuel system upgrade. Stage 3 would be all the above and a super or turbocharger(s). Once you reach the stage two you have to acct for chassis and braking upgrade as well and suspension. Faster means more wear and use one factory parts. Nobody wants anyone to suffer the fate of old school builders who sought after 500hp in a stock vehical.. it equals possible death. 4 brothers died racing a 55 belair with 400hp and they hit a jersey wall at 130.
cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
How to make my 1996 crown vic pi accelerate faster?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 1753
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog