Crownvic.net Readers Rides Forums

cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
1997 CVPI vs 2003 CVPI: Most Reliable?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 684
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
dearborndevil
• Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• Registered on 2/10/2013
• 1 post
Posted:2/10/2013 19:56
As a new member, I'm looking for some input based on everyone's experience. I want to buy a CVPI, and am currently looking at a 1997 with 108,XXX miles, and a 2003 with 115,XXX miles. Both were owned by small municipalities, with most driving done on winding back roads.

I'm aware of the manifold issue on the '97, and it hasn't been replaced yet. Other than the manifold, are there really any other issues this year is known for? I actually prefer the '03. But I hear they had a lot of bugs that weren't worked out until '04 (fuel pump, coils, light module).

Which one, the '97 or the '03, would be the most reliable, with the fewest headaches (after replacing the manifold on the '97)? I'm not looking to hot rod it. I just want a reliable second car that has room for a German Shepherd and two kids, and as a back up to my main vehicle.

Thanks Everyone!
edited 2/10/2013 19:58
MesaCVLXS
• Mesa, AZ, USA
• Registered on 12/8/2012
• 13 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/23/2013 17:59
Based on decades of working on P71's, I can tell you that both model years have had their fair share or problems. If I were you, I would go with the newer Vic, or possibly look for a 2004, as they have a better suspension, the knock sensor, and a few other improvements. There's pleny around for sale, so you shouldn't have trouble finding a decent one on CL, or search the internet for a police vehicle auction in your area.
Th1rt3eN
• Portland, ME, USA
• Registered on 3/31/2012
• 7 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:2/26/2013 20:01
I recommend a 98, I have had mine for almost 9 years now, Only been in the shop for small stuff, the only big issue I'm aware of with that year is loose ground on the fuel pump, for some reason they break loose after a few 100,000 miles , but that's a cheap fix. oh and the drivers side door panel on that year is just a little flimsy, if you get one with the door panel intact you should be fine, it only breaks do to the abuse police put it through.

Other than a 98 I would get one of the later models an 06 or beyond .

233304 miles last time I checked, that was in august I'm sure it's a lot higher than that now.
cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
1997 CVPI vs 2003 CVPI: Most Reliable?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 684
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog