Crownvic.net Readers Rides Forums

cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
1st-time car buyer looking @ 2002 CVPI
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 4   |   Total Posts: 4   |   Total Views: 1035
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
FSH_Kidd
• Portland, OR, USA
• Registered on 5/31/2013
• 1 post
Posted:5/31/2013 20:55
Hello all. I'll start with a little bit about myself: I've got a neuromuscular disorder and have gotten to the point where I can't expect to get around without a car, so I'm looking for something accommodating and comfortably sized. Other things that are important in a car for me are power steering/seats/windows/doors and cruise control.

I've been looking for a while now and this Craigslist ad has caught my attention. The owner is upgrading his security firm's fleet to SUVs so he's selling this 2002 CVPI w/160k miles for $2,900. He bought it at auction from the Corvallis PD four years ago with no maintenance history, but he's got a full history workup since taking ownership.

Like I said, I'm a first time buyer and I am very apprehensive about making this purchase (even more so considering there are no Blue Book values for the P71's), but at the same time a part of me is very excited at the prospect of having a Crown Vic. It seems like it's got enough power to be utilitarian, it seems safe, and it seems like parts and knowledge are readily available, making it a good starting car.

I'm just not sure which way to go on this one. As far as I can tell it seems like a good deal, but I'm no expert. My wife likes the idea of it and she feels like she'd be even safer riding in a CVPI. Most of the people in the support group I am a part of for my condition are supportive of me getting it, but are cautioning me about the mileage, size, and unnecessary power. My family's mechanic is telling me to go look if that's what my heart tells me, but he would never buy one with that kind of mileage that wasn't privately owned.

What do you think?
dbmcd
• Los Angeles, CA, USA
• Registered on 10/12/2001
• 69 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:6/4/2013 21:43
I've had an '05 for 5 years now and it is the best car I have ever had, out of many! I can't comment on your particular car but they are very dependable and solid cars. The engines last for many miles. I don't think 160k is a concern. Fun to drive and I get 14 in town and 23 highway. If it feels right, go for it and don't worry...

Dave
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/17956
dvcars2
• Munster, IN, USA
• Registered on 10/10/2013
• 2 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/15/2013 10:26
I bought my 2003 CVPI on ebay for $2000 it had 87000 miles I have used all Crown vics from 1992-2011 in my opinion you should look for 2003-2011 they are better vehicles. not saying 2002 is bad but I would look for somthing newer.
2006P71Love
• Lake Havasu, AZ, USA
• Registered on 11/25/2013
• 2 posts
Posted:11/25/2013 13:54
milage is high for the price. I would shop around. That year had issues with the timing chain guides and tensioners. The intake manifolds werent updated until 2004 if I recall correctly. Go for 2004 or better. Be patient theres a flood of vics hitting the market.
edited 11/25/2013 14:33
cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
1st-time car buyer looking @ 2002 CVPI
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 4   |   Total Posts: 4   |   Total Views: 1035
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog