FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Retro-Fit Modification 2003 F-350 Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Turn Signals to 2003 Exursion
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 11   |   Total Views: 8222
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2
bourbonman
• chicago, IL, USA
• Registered on 2/8/2003
• 10 posts
Posted:2/8/2003 12:01
Is it possible to put 2003 F-350 Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power/Heated Glass and Integrated Clearance Lights and Turn Signals on a 2003 Ford Exursion Limited that has Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power/Heated Glass already?

Since the standard option has Dual Power Heated Signal Mirrors. Is the wiring harness the same? Seems like it should be to have a standardized harness to keep costs down.

I dont know why Ford did not put these mirrors on the 2003 Excursion already. I am ordering my 2003 Exursion Limited with the 6.0 Liter diesel with every option except the 2nd row captains chairs. The brochure, ford website and the dealer could not tell me if these mirrors that come with it are the same. So I am doing my homework now. I talked to an autobody shop and he called a local ford dealer a parts tech and he immeadiately said no. I was not impressed with the 30 second conversation. So I have come here where the real experts are. Seems like 6.0 Liter Excursions are highly limited and hard to find. And they want top dollar and no rebates on this model. Also is the last year for the Excursion this year 2003 or 2004?

I know to order these mirrors are expensive ie $350 ball park figure. I will try to recoupe my losses by selling the other mirrors on ebay. In addition I will search for the F-350 mirrors on ebay.

Ford Really should take more advice and input from their Loyal customers.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
birdman127
• baltimore, MD, USA
• Registered on 10/13/2002
• 581 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/9/2003 07:11

Scott

2000 ltd 6.8 V10*4.30LS*

Lots of mods
check my gallery

bourbonman
• chicago, IL, USA
• Registered on 2/8/2003
• 10 posts
Posted:2/10/2003 09:19
Thanks Scott;

I thought that this could be done. So it is possible to do this install myself? Does the link you are going to send me have install info? the 300 dollars is for parts alone? Not sure what the dealer would charge. Other than the fact they said that it could not be done. I am having the pursue the question further.

Thanks alot
Rick
Jim_L
• Northern Virginia, VA, USA
• Registered on 4/2/2003
• 15 posts
Posted:4/2/2003 23:00
Is there any new information on this? I knocked my passenger side mirror of our 2001 Excursiun Ltd off on a tree this past weekend. I have been getting the
run-around from the dealer and from Ford for three days now, as to whether the new
style mirror will fit or not. Has anyone done it yet? I'm sure that the physical mounting hasn't changed. The question is, was the electrical plug the same?

Thanks for any info.
- Jim L
birdman127
• baltimore, MD, USA
• Registered on 10/13/2002
• 581 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/3/2003 05:48
Quote:
Is there any new information on this? I knocked my passenger side mirror of our 2001 Excursiun Ltd off on a tree this past weekend. I have been getting the
run-around from the dealer and from Ford for three days now, as to whether the new
style mirror will fit or not. Has anyone done it yet? I'm sure that the physical mounting hasn't changed. The question is, was the electrical plug the same?

Thanks for any info.
- Jim L

Most likely not. We have the heated and powered part but no wire for the signal and running light. I don't think it would be hard to run a pair of wires(like a speaker wire) over to the mirror.

Scott

2000 ltd 6.8 V10*4.30LS*

Lots of mods
check my gallery

Scott Coats
• Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
• Registered on 1/8/2003
• 84 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/3/2003 08:59
I can't speak to the integrated running light/turn signal model, but I just ordered and installed the 2003 heated towing mirrors on my 2001 Ex that had the standard mirrors and the install went flawlessly. Harness plugged right in.

There were extra wires in the chassis harness that were for the LED turn indicators in the old mirrors. Those were not connected to a matching wire in the the newer mirror's harness. There are (if I remember right) eight slots for wiring in the harness and only five were being used in the newer mirror harness. That leads me to believe that the 2003 turn/running light mirrors would run just fine off the old chassis harness, but I haven't done that particular swap myself. In any event, it would be a really easy wiring job and the turn signal wire is already in the chassis harness--dunno if the running light wire is there though.

Dunno if that helps, but if you just want the towing mirrors w/o the turn/running lights, it's an easy swap.

Anyone want to buy my old mirrors for $50--they're in great shape!

Scott

2001 PSD Excursion, 4" Lift, 315's on 17" Weld Evo Velocity-8 chrome wheels, 315-75-17 BFG AT/KO's, SS Westin Tube Steps, 2200 watt sound system, full pillar gauges, AFE Air Raid, DiabloSport Revolution experimental custom EEC chip (120HP) tune, 4" exhaust, clear turn/head lamps, safety brake light, oversize wipers, 2003 SuperDuty turn signal/heated power towing mirrors, billet grill, limo tint, ProComp steering stabilizer and shocks, the list goes on...
Dave Sullivan
• Kitchener, XX, Canada
• Registered on 2/27/2003
• 199 posts
Posted:4/3/2003 17:09
I am very interested in finding something whith both the upper and lower mirror heated and powered. I'm not too fussy about the turn signal indicator. It would be nice if it looks like the originals.

I would like to be able to ajust the lower mirror and turn the heat on to get the ice off of it.

Dave.
Scott Coats
• Registered on 1/8/2003
• 84 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/5/2003 07:12
OK, I've decided I HAVE to have the towing/turn signal mirrors.

I will sell my less-than-a-week-old in PERFECT condition 2003 towing mirrors. These are heated/power/dual mirrors, left and right. Perfect condition.

Fits all Excursions and plugs directly into existing harness. Easy 20 minute install.

$225 plus shipping for the pair.

Email me at scott@insolution.com if you're interested. I can ship immediately.

Scott

2001 PSD Excursion, 4" Lift, 315's on 17" Weld Evo Velocity-8 chrome wheels, 315-75-17 BFG AT/KO's, SS Westin Tube Steps, 2200 watt sound system, full pillar gauges, AFE Air Raid, DiabloSport Revolution experimental custom EEC chip (120HP) tune, 4" exhaust, clear turn/head lamps, safety brake light, oversize wipers, 2003 SuperDuty turn signal/heated power towing mirrors, billet grill, limo tint, ProComp steering stabilizer and shocks, the list goes on...
Scott Coats
• Registered on 1/8/2003
• 84 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/8/2003 08:45
Sold the mirrors. When I install the 2003 fancy ones, I'll post pics and how-to.

Scott

Scott Coats
• Registered on 1/8/2003
• 84 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/12/2003 13:12
So I've swapped out my standard (single glass) mirrors for both the trailer tow mirrors and the fancy trailer tow mirrors with the integrated turn signal.

You can go from the standard mirrors to the trailer tow mirrors with a direct swap. Wiring plugs right in. If you install the 2003 fancy mirrors in your pre-2003 Excursion, you will have to run a single grey wire for the running lights, but the turn signal works fine with the stock harness. The mirrors ran $310.00 for the pair (wholesale) from my dealer, $220 for the standard towing mirrors. Sweet talk your parts guy!

Not much of a hassle to install. I posted earlier some things to watch for. If I get a chance next week I'll put up a page with some pics (I took them as I did the install) for those that feel squeemish about tackling the project without instructions.

Can't wait for the Weld Evo 17" chrome rims to arrive Tuesday. I'll post a pic when I get 'em on. For those following my Firestone Tire saga, I shipped them the tire and am waiting to hear back from them--they estimated 30 days. With replacement tires, fixing the damage, and a rental for three days, the estimate was almost $3,000. Sucks.

Scott

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Retro-Fit Modification 2003 F-350 Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Turn Signals to 2003 Exursion
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 11   |   Total Views: 8222
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog