FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 2328
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
antimatter
• Clear Lake, WA, USA
• Registered on 6/8/2004
• 2 posts
Posted:3/10/2005 21:34
I have had several episodes of the Automatic Temperature Control in my 03 Limited not powering up. I have no fan, no ability to change mode (from defrost to A/C) and no lights on the display. The first time was after an oil change at the dealer. The second time was just out of the blue, I stopped at the office to pick something up and when I restarted I had no Temp Control. Both times I did not get anything to work that day, but the next day it showed up just fine. The second time I carefully checked the fuses with no fuse problems. The radio and other dash stuff works fine.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen. I could find no threads on the subject with several searches.

John

2003 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD 4X4 Mineral Gray
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/10/2005 23:04
Hi John and Welcome to the Excursion Forums

If the fuse checks out fine then it must be in the wiring behind the dash,perhaps the harness plugs behind the Heat/AC controller is loose possibly.

Is you Excursion within the 3/36 warranty coverage?

This may not mean a whole lot but which engine do you have 7.3L or 6.0L?

Bill

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

Orf
• Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• Registered on 8/29/2003
• 143 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/11/2005 08:16
Quote:
I have had several episodes of the Automatic Temperature Control in my 03 Limited not powering up.

Finally! I am not alone.

My '04 has done this 5 times now over the past 12 months. No rhyme or reason as to when it happens, either. I have figured out one thing about it. If I turn the truck off and let it sit for 30 minutes, the climate controls return. This has had me confounded for almost a year now.

I've brought it up at the dealership, but they can't diagnose it unless it happens when they have it. I can understand that, because it behaves normally otherwise. I'm just waiting for it to happen at a time when I can bring it by the service department for an inspection.

The only consolation is that the rear heat and AC work fine regardless.

My suspicion is that it is a bad control unit with internal issues. If I ever get lucky enough to get it to the service department at the right time, I'll let you know what they find.
antimatter
• Clear Lake, WA, USA
• Registered on 6/8/2004
• 2 posts
Posted:3/11/2005 08:30
Thanks for responding. I had not noticed that rear heat and A/C were still working. So far it hasn't happened when I really need the defrost or heat etc. By the way the engine is a 7.3 PSD.

John

2003 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD 4X4 Mineral Gray
Orf
• Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• Registered on 8/29/2003
• 143 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/17/2005 14:20
Mine did it again today, so I took it in to the service department. The Service Manager looked at it himself, confirmed it was not working, and approved a new unit for free. I only mention that because my Ex is at 45K miles, and I was worried that they were going to try to hit me up for the cost. I did menion that it has been an intermittent problem for almost a year.
Mark Rychel
• Chesterland, OH, USA
• Registered on 3/10/2003
• 54 posts
Posted:2/8/2008 19:34
I find if you turn on the lights and turn the key to start several times it usually comes back on.

Mark
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/9/2008 11:02
This problem happens frequently with the Super Duty trucks as well but I haven't found a real permanent fix as of yet.

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

DaBigOne
• Waikoloa, HI, USA
• Registered on 1/15/2009
• 1 post
Posted:1/15/2009 01:14
Just joined up to this site and wanted to chime in. My 05 X does the same thing and I also found that if you cycle the headlights on and off a few time the climate control will work again. My friend is a Ford tech and he let me in on the bandaid fix. And no Ford does not have an official remedy, go figure.
mcdillm
• Gilbert, AZ, USA
• Registered on 2/24/2015
• 1 post
Posted:2/24/2015 16:21
Well I'll be!! this has happened a few times in the past but came right back, today it did not until I read your post, went outside cycled my lights and Boom! came right back on, thanks!!!!!
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 2328
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog