FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Replaced alternator, but battery light stays on
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 10   |   Total Posts: 27   |   Total Views: 23184
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3
E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/15/2005 00:05
Quote:
E.:

Have you tried clearing the codes on the OBD II? Not sure if that will eliminate your problem, but I'm in the midst of exactly the same situation - still waiting on the alternator to arrive tomorrow, and I've got two relatively new EverStart Extreme 1000 CCA batteries that may have to be replaced, as they are not taking more than about 65% charge each after running back from Telluride to Montrose last night. Arrived home after the Ex had shut down all non-essential systems (stereo, ABS, airbags, instruments.....) with only head- and running lights operating. Output voltage was ~10V, and the batteries were down to about 10% and 24%, respectively, so they suffered a pretty severe drain.

I'm planning to have to clear whatever codes were generated during this event, and I have an OBD II reader/eraser with which to do it. I'll let you know how I make out after all is said and done!

D.

Dave,

I don't have a reader/eraser, so all I did to clear codes was unhook both batteries. I then cleaned the posts and terminals while they were unhooked. Total time unhooked was about 15 minutes.

My yellow-top Optimas just arrived today. I'm going to install them this weekend. I'll report back my results. My fingers are crossed that the battery light magically turns off as there's really nothing obvious left to check.

Let me know your results, too. Alternator replacement is very easy. Here's the install article, just in case. http://www.supermotors.org/clubs/fordexcursions/installs/install_8/index.php

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
dieseldave
• Montrose, CO, USA
• Registered on 10/14/2005
• 4 posts
Posted:10/15/2005 02:27
E.:

Awesome - I've scanned the section in my manual for this R/R, but your photos and text specific to the tasks are sure to make it a no-brainer! Thanks, bro'!

Oh, and thanks, also for your contribution to such an important resource for Big Ex drivers all over!

D.
Subscriber
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/16/2005 11:29
After installing the yellow top optimas, the battery light still stays on. I haven't driven it for an extended distance (just around the neighborhood) yet, so we'll see if more driving makes the light go away. Let me know if the code reader/eraser fixes it for you -- then I'll do the same!

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
motomech
• Los Angeles, CA, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2003
• 3 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/26/2005 20:52
You probably bought a bad alternator. Take it back. The batteries may have taken out the old one so replacing them was still a good idea. Good luck!

Best truck I've ever owned!
gawent
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 3/2/2005
• 65 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/5/2005 12:58
Did you ever figure out what was causing your battery light issues? I have that problem too now!

2004 X Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 - Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway, Timbren Rear Load Boosters, ISSPro Guages: Tranny, Boost, Pyro A-Pilar Mounted, Prodigy Brake Controller, Hensley Arrow Hitch System, PSD Badges

17,400 lbs. of CAT certified combined weight rollin' down the road in style!

1997 Exploder XLT 4x2 V6 DOHC (going, going,...)
Subscriber
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/5/2005 14:26
Quote:
Did you ever figure out what was causing your battery light issues? I have that problem too now!

It is still on, believe it or not. Now that the weather is cold here, when I first leave the house (when the X isn't warmed up), the battery light flickers sporadically and sometimes goes off. After the vehicle is warm, the battery light is on all the time. No problems with charging or with the batteries keeping charge, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I need to replace a few bulbs in the dash/gauge cluster, so I was going to investigate the battery light connections to see if anything was awry.

Do let me know if you find out what's up with yours.

-Eric

gawent
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 3/2/2005
• 65 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/28/2005 12:27
Eric, finally found out what the problem was with my battery light flicker. It was the alternator dying! I accidentaly found out a while back as I had pulled my TT over to my house to prepare for our Disney trip. I forgot I had disconnect my marine battery from the trailer and was soley running off of the X's batteries while I put the main TT slide in and out several times (huge amp draw) plus lighting and stuff. When I went to take the TT back to the storage lot that evening I noticed my battery light flashing (nothing unusual by now) and my headlights just did not seem as bright as they usally did. The next morning I went to start the X and it strained to start but it did! As I got underway to go to work some weird things began to happen. My odemeter began to fade in and out then went out, my stereo turned off and no clock or any display on it. Then something behind my instrument cluster went 'click' and I lost all of my guages including Tach. I kept driving as I need to turn around and head for Ford dealer not too far away. While drivin there, all started working again, then not! I got to the Ford dealer and pulled into the bay. Serivce writer came over and I explained to him what just happend (OBTW, before these weird things happend my ABS warning light came on, and it has also in the past when something weird was going to happen electronically) I shut it off and then told him I forgot to mention the ABS light and went to start the X to show him. Just got a click when I turned the ignition. Batts wer gone! Long story short, they replaced the alternator and I have not had any weird situations or Batt light since.
I have edited this post to add the following. I realize that your alternator shows that you are getting a charge. Mine had been dying for a long time and even the dealer tested my old one at point and said it was ok. Thing was it intermitently had a problem. Does your battery light ever go out? Have you ever seen your ABS light come on?

Ok, I edited one more time. I went back and re-read this entire thread from the beginning. You have all the classic signs that mine did early on. Everything seemed fine yet every now and then the alternator light would flicker, especially early morning when it was cool and the vehicle sat over night. Over time it came on more often. My theory is that you have a bad, rebuilt alternator and you need a new one. Ok, I'm done.

2004 X Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 - Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway, Timbren Rear Load Boosters, ISSPro Guages: Tranny, Boost, Pyro A-Pilar Mounted, Prodigy Brake Controller, Hensley Arrow Hitch System, PSD Badges

17,400 lbs. of CAT certified combined weight rollin' down the road in style!

1997 Exploder XLT 4x2 V6 DOHC (going, going,...)
edited 12/28/2005 12:38
Subscriber
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/28/2005 14:29
My battery light is ALWAYS on these days -- except for the first drive in the morning, for about 1/2 mile. The light flickers at various RPM and eventually will go solid after a 1/2 mile of driving. I will keep this in mind when I finally have a chance to dig back into the problem!

-Eric

Jukka Heikkila
• Helsinki, XX, Finland
• Registered on 7/30/2004
• 25 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2006 08:45
Hello Eric

Have you found the solution for your battery light problem ?
I have a friend here, who has exactly the same problem ( 2001 Diesel X 4x4 ). He changed both batteries and altenator - he put a 130 amp instead of the original 105 amp. The ABS light had been blinking before the alternator was changed and the battery light. Now the ABS light went off after a short drive, but battery light is still on. The cars own altenator meter shows 14 V.

Jukka from Finland
Subscriber
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2006 09:36
Quote:
Hello Eric

Have you found the solution for your battery light problem ?
I have a friend here, who has exactly the same problem ( 2001 Diesel X 4x4 ). He changed both batteries and altenator - he put a 130 amp instead of the original 105 amp. The ABS light had been blinking before the alternator was changed and the battery light. Now the ABS light went off after a short drive, but battery light is still on. The cars own altenator meter shows 14 V.

Jukka,

I still have the same problem. I have not replaced my replacement alternator yet, though. If it reads out 14 V like it should, I don't see how replacing it will help but you never know. I'm getting ready to move, so I don't have time to deal with it right now. As long as she keeps starting and running fine, then I'm not too worried (yet)!

Let me know if you find anything out about fixing it.

-Eric

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Replaced alternator, but battery light stays on
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 10   |   Total Posts: 27   |   Total Views: 23184
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog