FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Block Heater Confusion
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 3316
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
Bandit
• Austin, TX, USA
• Registered on 8/10/2005
• 38 posts
Posted:10/11/2005 10:00
OK, So from I've read and understand, since I live in TX and the X was delivered to TX, than there is no block heater... however, other material I've read says the block heater is standard on all 6.0 PSDs and that what I need to buy is the cord to hook up....

I've looked everywhere on my X, and found no cord.... How do I know if I have a Block heater? I want to confirm it before I go and buy a cord from the dealer.
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/11/2005 10:21
On the 6.0's the block heater element will be above the starter at a downward angle under the exhaust manifold.

2005 Block Heater Option:
All 2005 F-Series and Excursions with the 6.0 PowerStroke have a block heater installed on the engine. However, the cord for the block heater must be ordered as an option (code 41H). The cord is installed on vehicles originally sold in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Missori, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming.

The part number is 5C3Z-6B018-AA and it runs about $42 at www.powerstrokeshop.com,ask for Chris or anyone at the parts counter

Might as well order an underhood blanket kit as that'll help with engine noise suppresion along with keeping the engine warm when the block heater is hot.

Bill

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

edited 10/11/2005 10:28
Bandit
• Austin, TX, USA
• 38 posts
Posted:10/11/2005 11:31
Quote:
On the 6.0's the block heater element will be above the starter at a downward angle under the exhaust manifold.

2005 Block Heater Option:
All 2005 F-Series and Excursions with the 6.0 PowerStroke have a block heater installed on the engine. However, the cord for the block heater must be ordered as an option (code 41H). The cord is installed on vehicles originally sold in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Missori, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming.

The part number is 5C3Z-6B018-AA and it runs about $42 at www.powerstrokeshop.com,ask for Chris or anyone at the parts counter

Might as well order an underhood blanket kit as that'll help with engine noise suppresion along with keeping the engine warm when the block heater is hot.

Bill

Thanks Bill!!! I'll look at the engine tonight to confirm the heater. (Not sure how well I'll do - I'm a nubie in Diesels, but starting with the PSD, looking to grow to a DP motorhome in the future so need to learn as much as I can now!! )
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/11/2005 11:41
Check THIS out

Bottom photo,look to where #1 is pointing to

Bill

JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:10/11/2005 16:14
As Bill says, it definetly has it...
and both my 03 and 05 Texas delivered vehicles had the cord as well...

the cord came out just behind the passenger side radiator support on my 03....
and IIRC the 05 too....
but it IS a 3 hole black receptacle with a black plug, in a black place and hidden from view

but mine was there... right behind the tow hook....

2005 6.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer Ex
2003 6.0L 4x4 Limited Ex - traded in (BooHoo)
"The Republicans should back off and let men marry men, women marry women, and legalize abortion. In three generations there would be no Democrats."
Bandit
• Austin, TX, USA
• 38 posts
Posted:10/11/2005 19:25
Bill,

That's an awsome website... I'll need to dig into that more.

Johnboy,

I've looked behind the radiator and behind / above the tow hooks.. nothing...

We'll see.. I got a few months before it gets cold enough here to warrant me getting the cord...

I don't look forward to the install though - looks like I'm gonna need hands and arms the size of my wife's to get into that area...

Kevin
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/11/2005 19:51
Kevin once you get the cord from the block heater out run it along with the first few plastic tabs of the starter harness then cross over or under the frame to the outside and forward to the tow hook area.

An alternative would be an oil preheater which is a heater pad that adheres to the side of the oil pan. I use a 500 watt unit on our '02 and it works very well.

Bill

Bill

E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/11/2005 20:10
Quote:
Bill,

That's an awsome website... I'll need to dig into that more.

Johnboy,

I've looked behind the radiator and behind / above the tow hooks.. nothing...

We'll see.. I got a few months before it gets cold enough here to warrant me getting the cord...

What kind of temps do you anticipate? If you drive your X daily and the temps aren't dropping below 0, you shouldn't need to plug in. My X stays outside all day Mon-Fri for 8-12 hours during the winters. I haven't plugged it in a few years. My X is garaged at night. Garage will stay between 20 and 30 degrees F, which is no problem for starting in the mornings without it being plugged in.

If you do plug in over night, get a timer for the outlet that your block heater will be plugged into so you're not wasting electricity. Set it to turn on 3 hours prior to your needing to drive the X and all will be well. The first 2 years I owned my X it never saw a garage, so I did plug in each evening during the winter.

Here's an article with cold weather tips, in case you haven't read through it already.

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
edited 10/11/2005 20:12
Michael Gail
• Sierra Madre, CA, USA
• Registered on 5/1/2003
• 138 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/13/2005 20:13
I found mine when I removed the front bumper to install the hidden hitch. Up until then, I did not know it had one.

Mike
'02 EX, Limited, 4X4 , PSD, Nitto, Terra Grapplers 295/16, K&N Air Filter, Billet Grill, Hidden Hitch. Magnaflow SS Exhaust system with 3.5" downpipe, 4" main and 5" tip. Banks Six-Gun Power Module, Banks TransCommand.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Block Heater Confusion
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 3316
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog