FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Look what I did
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 12   |   Total Views: 4353
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2
caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• Registered on 12/4/2004
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/18/2007 22:48
here is a neat little mod for the older Excursions.

Anyone see anything different?
Before

After

--------------------------
I've decided that Xochi was in cahoots with the gas stations to rid me of my bank account. I still and love her.
Guess
• Kitchener, XX, Canada
• Registered on 2/10/2007
• 12 posts
Posted:3/18/2007 23:09
Congrats on the handle upgrade! Eventhough I never use the one in my 05

• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/18/2007 23:21
Thanks, I don't think I'll use it myself. Since this excursion is a 2wd. I did this mod because it anyoy the heck out of me that my driver side doesn't have one and the right side is tiny

I've decided that Xochi was in cahoots with the gas stations to rid me of my bank account. I still and love her.
edited 3/24/2007 22:59
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/19/2007 10:39
Nice work as usual there Cad

What all was involved with adding the drivers side handle?

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/24/2007 22:58
Quote:
Nice work as usual there Cad

What all was involved with adding the drivers side handle?

Not much really 1/4 dewalt bit, center hole puncher, a mesuring thingamajig that I can't recall its name. but it measure the outside distance. [i]Outside caliper [/i]perhaps? Eight #6 mm bolt thread patern 1.0mm (I use the same type of bolt and thread pattern from the passanger side for the new bolts.) Each handle takes 4 bolts for each side. Eight U nuts/speednuts, automotive marker, drill and sometimes and extra hand comes in handy.

I should had taken some better picture but I was too involving in this little project.
One thing that worried me was the factory stud welds were in the way. because the A pilar has a lip were two body panels are stud welded. but all was ok.

I started on the driver side. I took the old trim off and install the update trim, then I place the new handle in its groves and use a yellow marker to mark the holes of the handle to the lip on the pilar. then I remove trim and use the "thingamajig to find my center poin on the underside of the lip.This tool is use to measure the out side diameter but it comes in handy to locate the center mark on the other side of the lip instead of guess or eye balling the markings. As everything lines up I use the marker to mark my center. I then use a center hole punch to start a grove so the drill bit have a grove to start from instead of gliding all over the metal.

next I install the U nuts and test fit the bolts and the handle. When all is well I remove the handle and install the trim and then the handle. As for the passanger side, here is where it gets intresting. The bottom factory nuts from the old grip handle pilar lip is the perfect location for the new grip handle so on the passanger side I only had to drill 2 holes instead of 4 holes.

Here are some pictures that I did took.

The new trim came with Sound proof pading? lol funny

factory nuts

drill the top holes

install of the u-nuts

Some of the tools I used.

emptyd
• Hudson, WI, USA
• Registered on 3/25/2007
• 1 post
Posted:4/3/2007 13:53
Where did you get the kit/parts for the mod?
caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/3/2007 22:53
Quote:
Where did you get the kit/parts for the mod?

I went to a parts distribution wherehouse for Dodge/Chrysler, Ford and GM dealership's, I've notice repair shops and bodyshops also get the parts they need here. This place is huge. No wonder some of these dealership don't stock non-major parts.

before I went to this wherehouse I called several ford dealership and I was qouted from 45-55 dollars for each trim! I went in and bought the trim at $30.05 each.

I can't seem to find the handles receipt. But the handles and trim came from the parts wherehouse. It can also be bought from the dealership. The covers for the screw are not included, those are extra. You can by just a pair of the screw covers for the drive side. The covers on the current handle from your passanger side can fit on the update handles. So that will save you some money.

The screws and U-clips/speednuts came from my local hardware store. On my previous post i said I bought eight bolts and eight U-clips, well you will only use four bolts and six U-clips.(The passanger side will only need 2 U-clips because the current lower nuts on the is a perfect fit.) Just take one of the bolts from the passanger side and take it with you to the hardwarestore.

edited 4/3/2007 23:04
Mike Margolis
• Hartford, CT, USA
• Registered on 3/4/2004
• 45 posts
Posted:4/4/2007 07:29
My Excursion is a 2003 XLT, and it has handles on both sides already.

2003 Excursion 5.4L
caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/4/2007 22:19
Quote:
My Excursion is a 2003 XLT, and it has handles on both sides already.

This mod is for the "[u][i]older[/i][/u]" Excursions. '03 is when ford begin to have a driver side handle on the Excursion.

edited 4/4/2007 22:24
dddenio
• Detroit Lakes, MN, USA
• Registered on 8/18/2004
• 41 posts
Posted:6/24/2007 02:13
Excellent Mod, I need to do that one!

2002 7.3L Excursion 4x4, FTVB, MBRP 4" SS Exhaust, Rancho 9000X shocks, "V" code Front Springs & "B" Code Rear Springs, Ride Rite AirBags, Rear Hellwig Swaybar, Cut Front BumpStops, DieselSite Ext Trans Filter Kit - Coolant Filter Kit & 203 stat, "Scotpart" mod, "Hutched & Pooned", "LandYot" Radius Rods
2001 7.3L F250 CC SB 4x4 with banks monster SS 4", pillar guages, BTS Trans, Cale tuned 6 pos chip, 6oh Trans Cooler, Rancho 9,000X Shocks, DieselSite - Coolant Filter Kit & 203 stat. "Sound Deadend the Cab"
2001 7.3L F350 CC LB 4x4 5" Exhaust, pillar guages, BTS Trans, US Gear Underdrive, DP 6 pos chip, V10 Trans Cooler, DieselSite - Coolant Filter Kit, Evans Coolant, 203 stat, DI reg Fuel Return, GT38R BB Turbo, AFE 2 Intake, Banks Intercooler, Air Rite Bags,
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Look what I did
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 7   |   Total Posts: 12   |   Total Views: 4353
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog