FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Gas Engine Excursions
2004 Excursion v10 cranks but wont start
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 4896
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
dmassey2
• St Petersburg, FL, USA
• Registered on 8/4/2012
• 2 posts
Posted:8/4/2012 18:45
Over a year a go, every once in a while my excursion would turn over (starter ok), but would not start. After it sat for a while, it would start and work fine for months, then all of a sudden do it again. Last week did the same thing and I grabbed a can of starter fluid and shot it in the intake. It started and kept running. This weekend it did the same thing again but would fire with the starter fluid, but would not stay running. I listened to the tank by the fuel filler and can not hear anything indicating the pump is running. I ordered a new airtex fuel pump and filter and am preparing to replace it.

A few questions:

Am I missing something here that I should be checking before I go to the trouble of replacing the pump?
Is there anything I need to know other than depressurizing the fuel line before I tear this apart?
I bought a fuel line disconnect set, are there any other tools I need to complete the job?

Any answers would be appreciated
dmassey2
• St Petersburg, FL, USA
• Registered on 8/4/2012
• 2 posts
Posted:8/11/2012 13:48
I dropped the tank and replaced the pump. I had to return the first pump I bought online from autozone, because I mistakenly ordered the non-California emission version, only to find out I have a California truck. The pump is similar, but has an extra plug on the top of the pump for some sort of sensor. Once I got the tank back in place and reconnected all the fuel lines and wires, it started right up. Another thing I would recommend checking first is the fuel pump relays located right above the steering column on the firewall side. it has two identical relays one for the fuel pump and one for the air conditioner. open up the cover and swap the two relays, if you fuel pump starts working and the the ac quits, you know it is a 13.00 relay instead of a 175.00 pump. In my case it really was the pump that failed with 105,000 miles.
kcautosound
• Kansas City, MO, USA
• Registered on 6/17/2005
• 16 posts
Posted:5/22/2014 06:02
I had to replace my fuel pump on mine at about 190,000. It was a horrible day. I hadn't driven the truck for about 2 weeks. We decided to do a small weekend camping trip. I spent all day unloading my truck, cleaning it out and loading everything for camping. I own a mobile audio, video, security and accessories business. I carry a lot of stuff since I do it all onsite. My wife got off work late and we were ready to roll. I hooked the trailer up and we stopped off at the local Quik Trip so I could put about 38 gallons in it. Got everyone some pops and hot dogs to go and went to start the truck. crank, crank, crank,....nothing!!!! I already felt like a dick because I took up two pumps with my truck and trailer and then to had to have a tow truck come and get us. Thank god I had another SUV to hook the trailer up to so we could get it home. Saturday morning I had to drain a fully loaded tank and swap a pump out. That Sucked.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Gas Engine Excursions
2004 Excursion v10 cranks but wont start
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 4896
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog