The Rebel Mustang Club Forums

Mustang Forums > Mustang Discussion > General Discussion
20 years with
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 717
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
Cheri Embree
• San Diego, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/9/2004
• 14 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/14/2005 11:15
20 years with my "Christine"

20 years ago today I walked home from high school to see a beat up old red Mustang in the driveway. This was a common occurance since my Dad worked on everyone's car so I thought nothing of it. Also parked in the driveway was a beige 72 Toyota Corona which was supposed to become my first car. I just had to save up the $550 to pay the neighbor for the ugly thing.

I walked into the house and casually asked Dad "who's Mustang is that?" and his answer was "yours". My first thought was "oh crap I only have $350 saved up, now I owe them money *panic*. Turns out I owed the tow company $45 and the guy the car came from $200. I went out into the driveway and there was a instant bond of girl and car. The lifelong friendship had begun. A friendship many peopel don't understand but if you are a car person you understand completly.

I worked many hours at McDonald's to get that car so I could drive it. School was only 3 blocks away but I insisted on taking the car. I mean really, I was one of the only 16 year olds that actually ahd a car at my school. I have tons of pictures of my friends and I going places in the pony. I wanted to scan a few but my scanner is not cooperating this morning. I limped that old 6 cyl around my home town for 5 years before I moved 150 miles away to be with my future husband.

After over 300,000 miles were put on the drivetrain it was time to make a serious decision. She was falling apart around me and was no longer safe for the long commute I had to work or the occaisional drive to see family. I pondered the thought of selling her and everytime I seriously thought about it, tears would come to my eyes. Too many memories included that car! My first kiss was with me leaning on her right rear fender for example! The last time I saw my best friend was when I dropped him off at home after a Friday night cruise, etc. The decision was made, I would invest far more than the car was worth to make her all that I ever wanted out of a Mustang.

In 2001 the transformation began. The drivetrain was swapped out for a brand new crate 302 from Ford. Disc brakes, AOD transmission, rims/tires, the works. Also put on a fiberglass front end from a 67 Shelby and then my finances were tapped out for awhile. In 2003 She got paint and body work and the chrome replaced and in 2004 a bumpin sound system. Now in 2005 she is getting a Paxton supercharger. In 2004 I discovered the local car shows and a new hobby has begun. I love talking abotu my pony with other people who understand my love and obcession.

I am sad to say that she is not here to go on a anniversary cruise with me today. I spent the day yesterday getting the garage ready for her homecoming next Sunday.

Here to 20 more years cruising with Christine. *cheers*
edited 3/14/2005 11:16
Norm Tyche  Club Owner
• Bentonville, AR, USA
• Registered on 5/26/2004
• 9 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:5/21/2005 11:02
Cherie,

Great story! I can appreciate your bond with the car.

Norm
Mustang Forums > Mustang Discussion > General Discussion
20 years with
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 717
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog