SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
MPG
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 529
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
50Cal
• Littleton, CO, USA
• Registered on 10/14/2014
• 1 post
Posted:10/14/2014 21:23
Hey guys new to the forum! I have a 63 Ranchero with a 170, 3 in the tree. A few months ago my muffler fell off, it was kind of rusty. When it did I was getting about 21 mpg. I finally got a new muffler, actually a new 2 inch exhaust all the way back with a glass pack, single pipe. Now my millage is about 18 mpg. I thought by helping my engine get ride of air faster it would help? Any advice? Thanks!
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/15/2014 19:31
Was the old exhaust also 2 inches? Going with a glass pack only makes it sound louder, not necessarily better. There are chambered mufflers that dampen the sound without restricting the air flow.

Getting an engine to flow better doesn't mean it will help mileage. If all it took was too get as much air as possible to flow through an engine to increase the mileage, everybody would be running 4 or 5 inch exhausts. Actually getting TOO MUCH air to flow will kill mileage and requires to carb to be re-jetted. That is why lots of racers keep records of everything they do to their engines to see where they get the best power.

If the new exhaust pipes are too straight, allowing better flow, they can and will kill mileage. Get someone who knows what they are doing to try to re-jet the carb (probably one size richer) and I bet the mileage gets back to norm.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
MPG
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 529
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog