SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
91 Crown Vic stuck in first gear
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 385
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
BigRudy
• Trenton, XX, Canada
• Registered on 1/19/2015
• 2 posts
Posted:1/19/2015 14:50
Hi
I have a 91 crown Vic with a 5L and 4 speed auto, it's been sitting in the garage for 3 years, tried to take her for a drive the other day and it won't shift out of 1st gear. It's got a lot of miles on but has never had this problem before. Trans fluid was changed around a year before I parked it, any ideas? I need to get this old girl back on the road again.
Thanks
W9BAG
• Columbus, IN, USA
• Registered on 9/26/2011
• 8 posts
Posted:3/15/2015 09:08
You may need to let the car run for a while to get to top temperature. The car SHOULD shift from first to second at about 40 mph. Take her out and run the snot out of her, after fully warm. If she does not shift at 42 or 43 mph, you have a problem. This will not damage the engine. You may have a stuck vacuum modulator.

Have you tried to start moving the car from a stop in second gear ? As far as I know, Fords are the only vehicles out there that will do this. Sometimes known as the "snow gear", reducing torque to the rear wheels in slick conditions. If you shift to "2", and the transmission still remains in first gear, replace the vacuum modulator. It's easy to get to, and pretty inexpensive. Make sure that you have no cracks in any of the vacuum lines. Just spray a little starting fluid around the vacuum line. If the engine revs up, you have a bad vacuum line.

Best wishes,,,

Bradley K. Clark
edited 3/15/2015 09:17
Forums > Car and Truck Make and Model Specific > Crown Victoria, Marauder, Marquis
91 Crown Vic stuck in first gear
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 385
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog