SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
Took intake manifold off 351W. Surprised as hell...
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 820
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
BroncoBilt
• Seattle, WA, USA
• Registered on 11/26/2014
• 16 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/30/2015 10:57

This 351 ain\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t been running right. I had that post in another thread. Low (warm) compression and leak-down tests on cyls 1, 2, 6, & 7. Runs rough, idles well, lacks power. Has new rings, new head job, new cylinder hone (all of this done by a pro machine shop), pro cleaned injectors, new spark plugs, the woiks, know what I mean?

Decided to take off the intake manifold because I was getting valve train noise, and figured I \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"might as well\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" replace the lifters & pushrods too, and lo-and-behold, to my shock and amazement, David Copperfield couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have done better - I have dry pine needles and coolant in my whatever you call it - CAVITY!!!! I thought I used pretty decent gaskets, and I used RTV on the backside of it. The coolant, I have no idea where it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s coming out of. I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t really know how the coolant works inside the heads. Shoved in one head from the water pump, goes scooting over the intake manifold inside some channels, through the other head, then out the - uh - middle hole of the driver\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s side head, then back across the intake manifold, to .... where? Does it go down into the engine? What\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the path it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s supposed to travel? (I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll bet Steve83 has some pics) I pulled the dipstick, and I wouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t have thought, without looking at this picture, that the oil looks \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"milky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\", but having been pre-biased by this picture, when I pulled it today, I would say it looks \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"5%\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" milky. The oil on the passenger side is definitely tainted.

Anybody want to take a GUESS at where this coolant is coming out of, based on what you know about the channels? from above, from the gap between the intake manifold & the heads, or .... could it even come from somewhere else? Am I supposed to RTV BOTH sides of the intake gaskets? Should I check for warpage? (I probably already should have, but the machine shop guy said, \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"these heads are straight, I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t even need to shave them\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\".

Huh. Could a cracked block cause this? I wouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t think so. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d expect it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d leak OUT or DOWN, not UP?

Huh. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m really shocked.
[url][img]
edited 4/30/2015 11:00
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/30/2015 18:34
If the block or head is cracked, it is the pressure from the heated coolant that forces the liquid out, not gravity. To have pine needles in there, it would seem that you had it contaminated when the intake got put on. Did you check the intake to see if it was cracked?

If you look at a diagram of how the coolant flows through the heads and the intake, you will see that the coolant flows from the center of each head into the intake and there is a low spot in the intake that it flows through. I have seen intakes rust on the bottom (from the low grade metal sheet they used to cover them). Now if it was a cast intake manifold, I would start looking for cracks.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

edited 4/30/2015 18:37
Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
Took intake manifold off 351W. Surprised as hell...
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 820
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog