SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
09 P71, turbos or supercharger?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 658
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
LuvMyP71
• Snowflake, AZ, USA
• Registered on 9/6/2015
• 2 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/2/2015 17:14
So i guess im just curious wither people perfer superchargers over turbos. I want to supercharge mine, but i was at the shop today and my mechanic made a good point. Supercharger driven power.... Turbo-- free power. So tell me people, turbo or supercharger?
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/3/2015 11:24
Turbos VS Superchargers has been a debate for years. And each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Supercharges are either mounted directly to the engine or hang off the engine (centrifugal). They are all belt driven and do use some engine power to produce power. With a SC, you get low end torque quickly.

Turbos hang off the engine (similar to centrifugal SC's) The complexity of building an exhaust system to pass all the exhaust through the turbo is time-consuming and expensive. A turbo needs time to spin-up to build pressure to build power. this is called turbo-lag. So a turbo must be small enough to reduce this lag. If the turbo is too small, it limits your power. If its too big, you get little or no power until you hit a particular rpm range.

And then there are people who put both on an engine to get big power through the entire range. And others who have put dual turbos of different sizes for a wider range of power.

I would go to several Mustang forums and see what others have done. You may find something you like and prefer. IMHO I would use a Kenne Bell 2.8 SC for nice all around power. http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Home_pg/layouts/Homepage.htm Give them a call and they can help set you up with a sc kit that almost appears to be stock on a P71.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

edited 10/3/2015 11:28
Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
09 P71, turbos or supercharger?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 658
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog