SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
Can I repair a car without a car diagnostic tool
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 559
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
lovelygirl
• new york, CA, USA
• Registered on 2/13/2014
• 3 posts
Posted:4/17/2014 01:03
Can I repair a car without a car diagnostic tool?
Is there somebody repairs a car without computer diagnostic?
How do you repair your car?

To be happy everyday!
dianahhh
• new york, KY, USA
• Registered on 11/18/2013
• 9 posts
Posted:4/17/2014 01:25
Now diesel cars repair are still cannot lack diagnostic tools
There are lots of obd2 diagnostic tools in http://www.diyobd2.fr and http://www.xcardiag.com
edited 4/17/2014 01:26
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/17/2014 06:54
Sure, you can do tons of repairs on any vehicle without diagnostic tools like a scanner. But then all you will be doing is changing parts until you get it right. The scanners will help direct you to a specific area to work on.

You don't need the newest $500 scanner to get the codes. Those $40 scanners Harbor Freight has will get you the code, and that is all. Auto parts houses like Autozone, Advanced Auto, and O'Reilly's will do it for free. Get the code and research it online.

A code of P0174 tells you that you have a "lean condition - bank 2:". The parts house will try to sell you new O2 sensors at about $85 each. A Google search of Code P0174 leads to forums where they talk about vacuum leaks. Any extra air after the MAF sensor shows as a lean condition. It could be a leaking intake manifold gasket, a bad EGR valve, or a cracked vacuum hose.. Or something as simple as forgetting to reconnect a hose after you did work on the engine.

My step-daughter had to bring her car back to the dealer about a week after they did an oil change. It seems the mechanic "forgot" to tighten the screw holding the according-style intake tube. It was sucking uncleaned air into the throttle body, causing a lean condition. All this testing was done under warranty, but without the codes, they would have spent additional hours trying to solve the problem.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
Can I repair a car without a car diagnostic tool
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 559
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog