SuperMotors.net Forums

Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
91 Mercury Grand Marquis ECC?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 479
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
bigguyyflint
• Decatur, IL, USA
• Registered on 9/1/2014
• 1 post
Posted:9/1/2014 15:42
Hi everyone!
I\\'m new to this forum bit so please excuse me if I\\'m asking something that has already been on here!

I have a 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis that starts and idles fine. Up until recently it ran down the road just fine too. The problem I\\'m having is that after an undeterminal amount of time/distance the engine dies. I still have all my lights and such the engine just dies. If I turn the ignition off and let it sit for a few minutes it will start and drive again. But the same thing happens again maybe a mile down the road maybe ten.
So far I\\'ve replaced the ignition control module on the distributor due to finding a burnt spot on the back of it and the base of the distributor. This has made no difference in the engine dying intermittenently. I was told that my problem is my eec/ecc/emc (computer)! I\\'ve got one coming on wednesday but I\\'ve opened the old one up and finding no evidence of cold solder joints or burnt components!
Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
jdmeaux
• Lafayette, LA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2009
• 525 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:9/2/2014 08:28
Welcome to the forum. I want to direct you to www.crownvic.net. There is plenty of information on our cars there.

With the engine shutting down after a time, and then needing to "cool off" before starting again sounds like an overheated part. I'm not too familiar with that model / year, but someone at www.crownvic.net should be able to help. Do a search on the page for "engine shutting down" and see what you can find,

Right now I would be checking my grounds. Corrosion can cause overheating. I'm NOT TALKING about engine overheating. I'm talking about a part / sensor getting too warm for its own good.

PROUD MEMBER of www.crownvic.net

It's just a SUPER-DUTY Mustang GT Sedan. 198K miles and still rolling HARD.

1997 Crown Victoria P71 SVT *** ex-US Marshall service (the CAR)
STOCK?? I bet it was modified.

13.26 @ 107.24 MPH 1/4 mi w/ me, tools, & full tank of 93 octane

I added CAI, NICHE 19 X 8.5 " wheels with 245/45ZR 19 rubbers, and completely rebuilt the front end with poly bushings, Kooks headers, 2 1/4inch exhaust, TCI 2200-2400 rpm Stall converter

.PLANS:: engine upgrade, 5.4L 2v stroker, rebuild interior in leather w/ buckets, thinking about turbos

edited 9/2/2014 08:29
Forums > SuperMotors Community Discussion > Engine and Drivetrain
91 Mercury Grand Marquis ECC?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 479
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog