FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Shock extension/retraction
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 479
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
RickyG
• Lubbock, TX, USA
• Registered on 5/10/2003
• 24 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/13/2003 17:23
I just recently had the Rancho RS900X's installed all the way around my X. I was wondering how much clearance/room for compression there should be between the top half of the shock and the lower half. Currently I can only see about 1-2inches of the shock rod itself in the resting position. It seems to me they are too long, if I was to hit any kind of bump then the shocks would bottom out, or compress completely, and that is exactly what the ride feels like. I have never changed shock before but it seems like the shock would be at the resting state somewhere in the middle of it's ability to extend or retract. Am I way off base here? I just checked the numbers on the Rancho site and they say that is the correct shock for a 00 4x4 with no lift. Here are the numbers, Front RS99267 Rear RS99275. Thanks in advance for the help.
Phil Eaton
• Lander, WY, USA
• Registered on 4/28/2003
• 42 posts
Posted:7/13/2003 18:19
The shocks are probably sized right as there is very little compression travel available if you look closely at the distance between the bumbstop and the axel (typically 3/4 inch). A popular change is to have springs from a Superduty installed, raising the front 2 inches or more varing by the spring. This gives you more suspension travel and improved ride and compliance. Add a rear sway bar with the good shocks you installed and the improvement is actually remarkable. You may be able to find inexpensive Superduty springs at a 4x4 shop left over from a superduty lift with spring replacement. I was lucky and got a shop with the springs to install for a total of $150.

If you do a search, you will find some threads I also found helpful from some experienced folks regarding choice of springs. I had good luck with "X" code springs and an inch cut off the bumpstops.
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/13/2003 21:22
We first swapped our stock sorry D codes for V codes off of a friends new 2002 F250 as he had a lift kit done after taking delivery.

We then installed the RS9000X shocks then added the Hellwig rear sway bar,the shocks have sufficent travel room up front

BILL

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Shock extension/retraction
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 479
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog