FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Replacing Headlight Bulb on Driver's Side
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 13   |   Total Views: 5218
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2
Chuck Rounds
• Minneapolis, MN, USA
• Registered on 1/9/2004
• 11 posts
Posted:1/9/2004 16:49
Hello -- I've been 'lurking' for a few weeks. Just purchased a used 03 PSD Limited with 18,000 miles. Love it!!

This is an awesome site -- the expertise here is incredible!!

I have a question for you 'old hands. I installed a SUV Lights kit today -- one harness for each side and had to pull the battery in order to get my chubby little hand in there to pull the bulb out. Is that the only way to do it?

Don Murray
• Bridgewater, NJ, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2004
• 128 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/9/2004 18:15
First Chuck Welcome to the site and hat's of too ya for picking the best SUV out there!

There ain't much room to get out those lights I know. But I'm wondering what you purchased?

Quote:
installed a SUV Lights kit today

My toy is below-

aKa The TRACTOR

Smokem' if you can!!!!
edited 1/9/2004 18:16
Chuck Rounds
• Minneapolis, MN, USA
• Registered on 1/9/2004
• 11 posts
Posted:1/9/2004 21:43
Quote:
First Chuck Welcome to the site and hat's of too ya for picking the best SUV out there!

There ain't much room to get out those lights I know. But I'm wondering what you purchased?

[quote] installed a SUV Lights kit today

Dan,
Thanks for the welcome -- I agree, best SUV out there. It replaces a Durango 5.9 that I loved too, but except for the 'old style' 4WD, the X is superior in so many ways!

I was referring to a harness kit that reduces voltage drop to the headlights. Here is the URL [url]http://www.suvlights.com/

Seemed like a good idea -- not a big fan of over wattage bulbs but definitely wanted a little more light at night. The lights work but haven't had a chance to run down the road after dark yet so don't know how much different they are, if they are different at all.

Chuck
Gen-X
• Toronto, XX, Canada
• Registered on 1/19/2004
• 344 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/16/2004 20:14
Hey Chuck,
Here's what I found worked for me. On the driver side the best way to get access is from the middle of the truck outward toward the driver side quarter panel. There is a rubber flap just in front/beside the air filter that is easy to flatten to gain access without needing to remove the battery or head lamp housing. Also put the bulb(SilverStar) in the head lamp housing before plugging in the wire. Very easy and you don't run the risk of touching the bulb. On the passagers side, the wiring to very short and hard to work with, I removed the old bulb and placed the SilverStar before connecting the wiring.

How was the installation instructions shipped with the SUVLIGHTS.com kit? Which one did you purchase?

Cheers

Chuck Rounds
• Minneapolis, MN, USA
• Registered on 1/9/2004
• 11 posts
Posted:2/16/2004 21:38
The SUVlights web site has instructions on it as I recall. Installation is pretty straightforward. You're just using the old headlight harness to trigger the new relays and the positive and negative wires can be attached directly to the battery. I chose to go with two harnesses - one for each battery. I think it makes for a better install. (although I didn't mount the relays anywhere, just tucked them out of the way.) All in all, even with removing the battery and tray -- I don't think it took longer than an hour and a half. The lights are definitely brighter.
JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:2/17/2004 09:32
I've not corrected it..
but my SUVligths dual harness reversed my high and low beams...
need to call him about what I need to change to correct it...

Only way I notcied it was that I installed the passenger side and then tested it against the garage door and sure enough.... it was flipped...

2005 6.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer Ex
2003 6.0L 4x4 Limited Ex - traded in (BooHoo)
"The Republicans should back off and let men marry men, women marry women, and legalize abortion. In three generations there would be no Democrats."
Gen-X
• Toronto, XX, Canada
• 344 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/17/2004 17:37
I went to SUVlights.com today and researched their lighting harness a little more. The web page contradicts itself on the which harness to use for Ford trucks.

In one case they say:

[color=blue]For vehicles with dual batteries (such as the Ford Super Duty) it is recommended that 2 universal wire harnesses be used to connect to each battery. One universal wire harness is$55 Plus $8 shipping and handling via UPS Ground (1-7 days) Therefore 2 would cost $110. Keep in mind this is 14 gauge.[/color]

In the second case they state:

[color=blue]9004/9007 (Dual battery Super Heavy Duty Wire Harness with 4 relays) - $90 Plus $8 shipping and handling via UPS Ground (1-7 days) Keep in mind this is 12 gauge.[/color]

After a few minutes on the phone with SUVlight.com it turns out that the second option is the correct implemenation. This will give you two 12 gauge harness one for the drivers side and the other for the passenger side. Not only is the second option cheaper but it's 12 gauge (heavier) wire.

Cheaper and better, sign me up. I'll let you know how it goes once I get them/install them

Cheers
edited 2/17/2004 18:11
JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:2/17/2004 20:22
Just got the drivers side of my suvlights installed today... got the pass side done about two weeks ago and just didn't get around to the drivers...

See my post today about the high and low beams being reversed

Does seem to help the illumination though !!!
especially with the PIAA replacement bulbs...
nest is the fogs on with the highs...
and then maybe the highs and lows togetha

"The Republicans should back off and let men marry men, women marry women, and legalize abortion. In three generations there would be no Democrats."
Gen-X
• Toronto, XX, Canada
• 344 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:2/17/2004 20:35
Quote:
Just got the drivers side of my suvlights installed today... got the pass side done about two weeks ago and just didn't get around to the drivers...

See my post today about the high and low beams being reversed

Does seem to help the illumination though !!!
especially with the PIAA replacement bulbs...
nest is the fogs on with the highs...
and then maybe the highs and lows togetha

Let me know what suvlihts.com tells you regarding the flipped light problem. My guess (engineering hat now on) is that Ford flip the socket location for the lower/high beams on the factor harness and the boys at suvlights.com haven't notice yet. I thing we'll need to get the soldering iron out.
JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:2/18/2004 13:32
SUVlights knew about it - it was an oopsin his area... someone cross their hands is probalby all it amounted to...
and he gave me the info to correct the problem...
it was just a matter of backing out two clips and reversing them...
no need to burn it or anything...
seems to work fine now...

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Replacing Headlight Bulb on Driver's Side
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 13   |   Total Views: 5218
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog