Crownvic.net Readers Rides Forums

cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
No hazard flashers, no turn signals, no headlights, break lights OK. 2003 cvn
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 769
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
honeysada
• Long Beach, CA, USA
• Registered on 4/7/2011
• 3 posts
Posted:4/29/2011 18:57
I have tried to look on the earlier discussions about my crown vic problem but could not find any solutions. Anybody please help.
my 2003 crown vic never had big problems, but recently and suddenly all headlights, turn signals, tail gate lights and hazard (emergency) flashers stopped working, only break lights working fine.
All fuses are fine.
Any suggestions what could be the problem.
Thanks
honeysada
• Long Beach, CA, USA
• Registered on 4/7/2011
• 3 posts
Posted:5/12/2011 22:21
Well, I have solved this problem. Was faulty LCM (light control module). It took me 3 minutes to take LCM out of the car, then I sent it to the repair shop(found it on ebay), few days later received LCM back in the mail, few minutes tookme to but it back in the car, and that was it , all lights working fine again. Cost for LCM repair was $75, better than buying new one...
P71owner
• Cleveland, OH, USA
• Registered on 8/22/2011
• 1 post
Posted:8/24/2011 01:46
I also had a similar problem. On a hot, rainy day I turned on the headlights. I could hear the relays in the LCM chattering. After several tries, all the exterior lights, except for the brake lights, and all the interior lights stopped working all together.

All the fuses tested OK. It is important to test the fuses with a meter or fuse tester since it is possible for them to look good and be open, especially if they failed through heat and vibration. However, by checking with a meter, I found that 4 or 5 of the fuses that were supposed to be "hot at all times" did not have power going to them.

I jumpered power from another "hot at all times" fuse that did have power and the lights came on. A light gauge wire or paperclip will work for this, but be careful to only do it for only a few seconds and don't turn on lots of lights or the wire or clip will get hot rapidly. In fact, it would be good to use a fuse holder and fuse (available at Radio Shack) in case there is short in the wiring.

In checking the manual, I found that a 10 AWG Blk/Org wire feeds power from the Battery Fuse Box (BFB, under the hood) to the Central Junction Box (CJB, the fuse box under the dash board) and passes through a large connector on the firewall. I found that the wire had power coming out of BFB but did not have power at the firewall connector. I jumpered a wire between those two points and again the lights started working.

Now, the wiring harness between those two points runs through the RF fender, across in front of the radiator, into the LF fender, and out near the firewall on the driver's side of the car. One would have to take the whole front clip apart and then strip apart the wiring harness to find the break in the wire. That would be lot of work.

Instead, I cut the wire a few inches from both ends and spliced a new 10 AWG wire its place. I got the parts from Home Depot, of all places. I used crimp-on butt splices that have heat-melt glue and heat-shrink tubing on them, 10 AWG red stranded house wiring, and half-inch split loom tubing to protect the wire. The wire runs out of the BFB, into the RF fender, out of the fender next to the battery, and up into the hollow rectangular brace that runs across and above the radiator. It comes out of the brace and runs under the air cleaner box, under the washer fluid reservoir, over the top of the inner fender and into the firewall connector.

The cost for the parts was about $20.
cvn Forums > cvn Discussion > General Discussion
No hazard flashers, no turn signals, no headlights, break lights OK. 2003 cvn
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 769
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog