FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Landyot Radius Rods Have Arrived!
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 82   |   Total Posts: 341   |   Total Views: 111574
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11 ... 35
spartan
• Nashville, TN, USA
• Registered on 7/17/2003
• 86 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/27/2003 10:18
Got my Landyot brand custom Excursion radius rods last night at 6:00. If it hadn't been raining I would have been out in the driveway doing the install. Now they have to sit on the work bench all day while I go to the great turkey gathering with my wifes family all day. I did contemplate feining illness to stay home and put them on, but it's still raining so I'll wait it out till tommorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody and a special thanks to Landyot for the rods. These pieces are really nice. I will report back in after they are installed.

2000 XLT Premium, V10, 4.3 LSD Rear, Edge 4.5" Hanger Lift, Landyot Radius Rods, Hellwig Sway Bar, Dual Bilsteins, 295 75 16 Nitto AT's, Billet Grill, Lengthened and Balanced Driveshaft, Hella 450's, Insulated AC Lines, Modified ZooDad, Husky Liners F to B.

LANDYOT  SuperMotors Member
Sponsor
Subscriber
Subscriber since 11/23/2003
• Newport News, VA, USA
• Registered on 7/15/2003
• 1,110 posts
Posted:12/2/2003 21:16
Thank you for the kind words, Spartan. I look forward to hearing how well you like the improvement to the ride quality of your X. I know you're waiting to install a Hellwig sway bar first, so with the Hellwig bar and my radius-rods, you'll see a fantastic improvement in the ride quality. Good luck with the installation.

If anyone wants to know, Spartan bought my last set from the first batch. Interest in the radius-rod kit has mandated I start another batch of these, so I started cutting more steel last night (12/01/03).

THE FOLLOWING WAS ADDED ON 02/13/05: Some of you have been referred to this lengthy thread from other websites. You can obviously enjoy reading the rest of this thread (several pages worth) to hear what others have to say about them on their Excursions. The following link provides most everything you'd want to know about the radius-rods. Thanks!
http://www.fordexcursions.com/forums/posts.php?threadid=4523
edited 2/13/2005 15:32
spartan
• Nashville, TN, USA
• 86 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2004 19:17
Better late than never. I got the first set of Landyot custom radius rods, but couldn't use them because of my funky 2000 brake caliper set up on the drivers side.

Landyot was kind enough and sharp enough to go back to the drawing board for a set of Generation II radius rods that are just awesome. I put these puppies on yesterday, did some tweaking this morning and I am convinced that the radius rods in combination with a Hellwig anti-sway bar are the best upgrade that one can make to an Excursion period.

I can't begin to describe the quality and professional finish of Landyot's radius rods. They are as good or better than anything you will find aftermarket, and that includes the Donahoe Racing Edge products. Get yourself a set today. You will not regret it. Worth every cent, times three! You will not believe the ride difference!

FYI - I don't have anything to gain or lose here. Ken has come up with a very practical solution for a very big truck and it works great. I literally can swing the back end of my truck around now under power, tires spinning, without any body roll or spring warp. Pretty awesome for a 7,000# plus SUV.

Now I just want a Kenne Bell supercharger to complete the " package ". Hooo - weee that will be some bad chit! Would not work without the Landyot radius rods though. They are the key to Excursion performance and handling.

Get you some! Thanks Ken!

2000 XLT Premium, V10, 4.3 LSD Rear, Edge 4.5" Hanger Lift, Landyot Radius Rods, Hellwig Sway Bar, Dual Bilsteins, 295 75 16 Nitto AT's, Billet Grill, Lengthened and Balanced Driveshaft, Hella 450's, Insulated AC Lines, Modified ZooDad, Husky Liners F to B.

Sponsor
Subscriber
• Newport News, VA, USA
• 1,110 posts
Posted:1/6/2004 20:20
Awww shucks, Spartan. You're too kind. (visualize me looking down, shuffling & kicking my feet)

Y'all should know Spartan has been a real champ in helping me get things straight for developing the Gen-II radius-rod kit. I had no idea the early-2000 model X had catty-wompass rear brake calipers. Meaning the passenger side caliper is mounted behind the axle (like they are on both sides of my '01), but th early-'00 driver side caliper is mounted AHEAD of the axle.

I sent Spartan a Gen-I kit before Thanksgiving. After learning we had a problem, it took me awhile to get the Gen-II kit developed ... plus make a bunch of jig fixtures along the way. I didn't ship Spartan his Gen-II parts until the Monday before New Year's. I praise him for his patience, and moreso for his mechanical understanding of the process. (Thanks Dave!)

In the process of making the new Gen-II parts for Spartan, I also built a set for my truck. You know, to make sure they fit & work. Would you believe someone has already agreed to buy my original prototype Gen-I radius-rods I took off the truck?
edited 11/16/2004 17:24
Cobra427
• Fremont, CA, USA
• Registered on 1/24/2003
• 37 posts
Posted:1/7/2004 11:43
Quote:
Would you believe someone has already agreed to buy my original prototype Gen-I radius-rods I took off the truck?

Yes, I'd believe it!!!
Sponsor
Subscriber
• Newport News, VA, USA
• 1,110 posts
Posted:1/7/2004 16:51
Ha-ha! I guess now you're going to tell me the check is in the mail? (hee-hee)
Thanks for buying, Cobra!
PS - I just finished getting the replacement bushings & hardware yesterday. They're ready to go!
Sponsor
Subscriber
• Newport News, VA, USA
• 1,110 posts
Posted:1/7/2004 20:28
Quote:
Meaning the passenger side caliper is mounted behind the bumper (like they are on both sides of my '01), but th early-'00 driver side caliper is mounted AHEAD of the axle.

Did I say that? Mounted behind the BUMPER??? Sheesh! I goofed. I meant to say behind the rear axle. I'm tired ... spending too much of my spare time building these things ... I'm ready for a stiff drink. In case any of you didn't know, these radius-rods are just a hobbyist-thing to me ... I build them in my garage.
edited 1/7/2004 20:30
Don Murray
• Bridgewater, NJ, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2004
• 128 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/8/2004 07:52
LANDYOT,

Please identify this product. Most viewers are not aware of your invention and want more info how it works and what bennifit it bring to the suspension.

Don

aKa The TRACTOR

Smokem' if you can!!!!
edited 1/8/2004 07:53
Sponsor
Subscriber
• Newport News, VA, USA
• 1,110 posts
Posted:1/8/2004 16:22
Don - I replied to your e-mail with the same info posted below, but figured I'd post this anyway in case others have the same question(s). --LAND YOT-- Warning: it's a long read!

I purchased a 2001 Ford Excursion 4x4 Limited (with 53K miles on the clock) in January of 2003. It wasn�t long before I realized the rear suspension was not as smooth riding as one would hope. Driving around curves with a washboard-like surface was just plain scary ... even at speeds lower than the posted limits. A quick study of the rear suspension revealed why the rear end felt like it was hopping uncomfortably over minor bumps in the road surface, and continue with some reverberation for a little while after crossing those bumps.

The Excursion is built on the Super Duty (SD) chassis, as are the F250, F350, F450 and F550 trucks. The trucks have stiffer, high-capacity leaf springs and helper springs mounted atop the rear axles to carry large payloads. The leaf spring hangers are mounted high on the chassis because of the tall stack of leaf springs used on the F450 and F550 models. The 2-wheel drive Excursions have spacer blocks between the axle housing and the leaf springs, and the 4-wheel drives have extra spacer blocks.

When the Excursion came along, a vehicle which is nothing more than a huge family station wagon, the high-capacity leaf springs were not needed. Instead, the Excursion would require softer leaf springs to give a more comfortable car-like ride. And to compensate for the higher front-end on the 4x4 SD models, Ford simply added an additional spacer block (2 blocks total) between the leaf springs and the rear axle housing to allow them to sit level.

In short, this was Band-Aid engineering. While the blocks perched the Excursion�s rear end at a proper altitude relative to the front suspension's ride height, another problem was amplified. That problem is known as spring wrap. Most any light-duty rear-wheel drive vehicle with a solid rear axle, and leaf spring rear suspension, will suffer from spring wrap at one time or another. This problem will occur regardless of whether spacer blocks are used, or whether the axle is located above or below the leaf springs. Spring wrap is caused by the torque of the axle housing when accelerating and/or braking.

Leaf springs must perform several functions. First, leaf springs suspend the weight of the vehicle with enough resistance to provide adequate payload capacity and acceptable ride quality. They perform fairly well at this, their main function. Second, the leaf springs position and hold the axle transversely. This is not their main job, but leaf springs perform fairly well at this function. Third, leaf springs position and attempt to hold the axle longitudinally. This is their weak spot.

The rear axle is torqued in both directions from acceleration and braking, and that torque is transferred to the leaf springs, especially when 4-wheel-low drive is engaged. Ford realized this and included a pair of traction bars with the Excursion's weaker leaf springs for towing purposes. Unfortunately, those traction bars only work when accelerating. They do nothing to improve ride quality or braking. To the best of my knowledge, the traction bars are absent on the 2WD models.

While driving your Excursion over a series of bumps, the rear axle actually tilts fore and aft a small amount, and the reverberation you feel is from the leaf springs attempting to normalize themselves. With spacer blocks mounted between the axle housing and the leaf springs, the fore and aft movement is amplified because the axle has more leverage to act upon the leaf springs. This is less of a problem on vehicles whose axle housing is bolted directly to the leaf springs (no spacer blocks between them).

This spring wrap problem is one I've encountered before. A vehicle I owned in 1978 had the same poor ride quality, but my intent back then was not to improve the ride. I simply wanted to improve the off-road performance of that particular 4-wheel drive. I purchased a pair of radius-rods that were designed to keep the axle in a controlled arc. Imagine my surprise after installing the radius-rods, and finding my 4x4 rode much smoother, particularly over bumpy surfaces such as railroad crossings.

A search was done to find a pair of commercially available radius-rods to fit the Excursion, but I could not find any. I decided to design and build my own. My original plan was to manufacture them to be welded onto the Excursion. Then I learned others were also complaining of the ride quality of the Excursion's rear suspension. I was back at the drawing board to develop a bolt-on kit so others could install the radius-rods on their Excursions ... and enjoy the ride.

PS - Since writing the stuff above, I have learned there is no OEM traction bar on the 2WD models. So, now I believe Ford's intention behind the traction bars was to offset the torque imposed by the 4WDs when in low-range.
edited 3/11/2007 09:01
spartan
• Nashville, TN, USA
• 86 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/9/2004 18:36
A little update here - there is definately more to the Landyot custom radius rods than meets the eye. These things are red hot gotta haves for any super duty owner - especially Excursion owners. .

Here's the scoop. Not only do the radius rods eliminate spring wrap - low and behold they get rid of steering wander! We haven't quite firgured out how or why exactly yet, but you can bet that your steering wander or " pull " will decrease substantially after you intsall Landyot's radius rods and a rear Hellwig anti sway bar. Phenomenal is the word the that comes to mind.

Write a $300 check plus shipping and send it to Landyot. When you get your radius rods, follow the instructions and put them on. Then enjoy - they are incredible as part of a complete system upgrade for the Excursion!

I have nothing to gain here. Independant user! Get them while you can.

edited 1/9/2004 18:39
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Landyot Radius Rods Have Arrived!
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 82   |   Total Posts: 341   |   Total Views: 111574
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11 ... 35

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog