FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Gas Engine Excursions
V10 Fuel pressure problem
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 8   |   Total Views: 17861
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
nhoj
• Hanover, PA, USA
• Registered on 1/9/2006
• 37 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/27/2009 07:01
This engine was running great until three weeks ago. After being parked for about a week, I got in to start it and all it did was turn the engine over. No fire at all. After checking all the obvious, fuel filter (replaced), relays and fuses, inertia switch, then finally fuel pressure at the rail.
The rail pressure was only reading 18psi. I assumed fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump. Only ten pounds psi. Assumed defective (new) pump. They sent me another pump (OEM Motorcraft). Replaced again. Disconnected fuel supply and return at filter location, blew out lines (clear, no obstructions), same result (10psi).
I'm running out of ideas. Any thoughts out there?

01' Excursion V10 4X4
David Rush
• Greenville, SC, USA
• Registered on 4/11/2004
• 233 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/12/2009 01:24
I'm by no means a mechanic but could there be trash in the tank preventing fuel from getting to the pump?
LANDYOT  SuperMotors Member
Sponsor
Subscriber
Subscriber since 11/23/2003
• Newport News, VA, USA
• Registered on 7/15/2003
• 1,110 posts
Posted:12/13/2009 19:30
Fuel pressure regulator? It works like a pressure relief valve. If it's not holding back an appropriate amount of pressure, then your pump is just running fuel through the lines, through the fuel rail, and back to the tank.
HBJJAM
• Minneapolis, MN, USA
• Registered on 6/23/2005
• 94 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/3/2010 20:05
Seeing i am having same issue here, is there a way to 'test' te regulator?
Sponsor
Subscriber
• Newport News, VA, USA
• 1,110 posts
Posted:8/4/2010 14:27
Test the regulator? Its job is to prevent excessive pressure in the fuel rail, but they can also leak, which prevents sufficient pressure from building.

I have never looked for it on my X, but I have worked on other engines where one can find a Shraeder (sp?) valve somewhere along the fuel rail. That's the location where one connects a pressure gauge, then turns the ignition on to see how much pressure the fuel pump can deliver. If the pressure does not reach the specified value, the pressure relief valve might have a small piece of crud keeping it from seating (closing) properly. The pressure relief valve should be located downstream from there ... could also be located at the opposite end of the fuel rail.

I've rebuilt a couple regulators (very simple devices ... spring, plunger, seals), and the material costs were always less than $10.
HBJJAM
• Minneapolis, MN, USA
• Registered on 6/23/2005
• 94 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/4/2010 16:14
Thank you for the input
Update is as follows.
was able to start the truck last night, but only drove 2 blocks before it sputtered to an end.
Let it sit overnight and nothing at all in the morning, no fire!
Brought home this afternoon, uncapped shrader valve and have nothing out of it!
I have pressed the fuel shutoff impact reset button several times. First time I thought I had it since it 'felt' like it pushed in
No my next test is to disconnect the fuel rail-line somewhere, thinking fuel filter and then do a 'quick' key test to see if any fuel pumps.
This gas tank looks like a major job, especially doing it in the street in front of the house. Since I have a steep driveway and am unable to pull it up there
Sponsor
Subscriber
• Newport News, VA, USA
• 1,110 posts
Posted:8/4/2010 17:10
Did you have the ignition switch turned on (not cranking ... just turned to the "run" position) while you depressed the pin in the center of the Shraeder valve? If so, gasoline should come out until you released that pin. If no gas came out, then fuel pump is next thought ... assuming you've replaced the fuel filter already.
summerscheifer
• Carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/26/2010
• 50 posts
Posted:5/4/2012 03:12
Quote:
This engine was running great until three weeks ago. After being parked for about a week, I got in to start it and all it did was turn the engine over. No fire at all. After checking all the obvious, fuel filter (replaced), relays and fuses, inertia switch, then finally fuel pressure at the rail.
The rail pressure was only reading 18psi. I assumed fuel pumps. Replaced fuel pump. Only ten pounds psi. Assumed defective (new) pump. They sent me another pump (OEM Motorcraft). Replaced again. Disconnected fuel supply and return at filter location, blew out lines (clear, no obstructions), same result (10psi).
I\\'m running out of ideas. Any thoughts out there?

coincidence that i am having the same issue. im planning to buy a new fuel pump either.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Gas Engine Excursions
V10 Fuel pressure problem
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 8   |   Total Views: 17861
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog