FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Excursion keeps dying. Please Help!
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 8   |   Total Posts: 10   |   Total Views: 12805
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
Craig Danczyk
• Vicksburg, MS, USA
• Registered on 11/29/2003
• 11 posts
Posted:11/29/2003 08:41
I have a 2000 Ford Excursion XLT 4x4 with 43K miles 6.8L V10. Back in October the X died on the interstate instantly (no sputter, cough or hesitation). I pulled over to the shoulder, and waited a few seconds and it cranked back up. About a 100 yards later it died again and I pulled over to the shoulder. I checked all the fuses under the hood, and none were blown. I double checked the gas cap since I had fueled up that day, and it was secured. The Excursion cranked back up and I had no trouble for 5 weeks. A week ago I was going on a trip, and the same thing happened. I had driven about 70 miles and the X died. When the motor dies, it will not crank back up immediately, but if you wait a minute or so it will; but will only run for a few seconds and die again. All my guages are showing proper operation while running.
I replaced the fuel filter, and drained the fuel tank to rule out water in the gas or a clogged fuel filter. After that the Excursion continued to die. I had the battery tested and recharged and it was OK. I pulled the alternator and had it tested and it was OK. When I re-installed the battery and alternator I cleaned all the connections including ground wires. The truck ran for 30 minutes after that with no problems (thought it was fixed), but then the next day it died on me again. I had only driven it for about 1.5 miles when it died, and as usuall it will crank back up a few minutes later and run for a few seconds. I took it to our Ford dealership, and they can not get a warning code from the computer. The check engine light has never come on, but all the dash lights come on when the vehicle dies. They said the instument cluster may be faulty ($342), or the anti-theft feature is shutting it down accidently. I have noticed that my keyless entry is not working on the driver door, but the keyless remotes work fine. The door locks may be causing a problem, but they are not sure. The anti theft light does blink on the dash when the vehicle is off. The fuel pump and Cam sensor seem to work fine, but who knows.
I am sorry for the long post, but I need some answers from some experienced Excursion/F250 guys. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so what do you recommend. My truck has not ran right for about 10 days, and they are not going to be able to work on it until next week. PLEASE HELP!

Craig Danczyk (Lt_Czyk)
E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/29/2003 11:01
My 2000 Powerstroke X did something similar and it was the cam position sensor. I'm not sure if the V10 is prone to the same behavior, but I know that the cam position sensor has caused problems for many people with Powerstroke engines in their Excursions. I was driving along and had not had any problems and the X just died while cruising along at about 40mph. It did not start again until the next day. It did not trigger the Service Engine Soon light so the Ford dealer was baffled. I did my research online and suggested that they check the Cam Position Sensor and that's what it was.

With regards to the anti-theft system...if it does blink when the truck is off (every 20-30 seconds or so), that is normal. If your anti-theft system is activated and is the cause for your truck shutting off, the anti-theft light should blink rapidly indicating that the anti-theft system has been triggered.

On your keypad on the door, have you tried entering the default code that is in your owner's manual?

One question for you...when the truck dies and you try starting it again, does the starter crank and crank but it just does not fire up? Or do you turn the key and nothing happens?

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
Bill Johnson
• Rio linda, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/11/2002
• 201 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/29/2003 13:20
Try a fuel filter. It sounds stupid by my galaxie did that for about a year. I replaced everything and overlooked that until last.

Co- Owner Diablo Audio Technologies
Yahoo IM - kingsuv00

If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

Craig Danczyk
• Vicksburg, MS, USA
• Registered on 11/29/2003
• 11 posts
Posted:11/29/2003 20:47
When my Excursion dies, it will 'turn over' but it will not crank. If I wait about one minute or so, it will crank and fire up, but it may only run 10 seconds or so. Once again, I have the 6.8L V10. An independent mechanic told me to replace the Cam timing Sensor, but I was nervous that I was going to spend money on parts that I did not need. The Ford service manager told me that it could be so many things, and I really needed the diagnostic check to be certain. Sad thing is, they have not been able to pull a code out of the computer, even when the vehicle died in the shop. Thanks again, Craig (Lt_Czyk)
monsta
• The Big Island, HI, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2002
• 1,056 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:11/30/2003 03:06
My first guess would be a fuel pump.

A bad one will not throw a code. Yet, when it shuts off... so does the whole truck.

However, you said that the truck "will turn over" but "will not crank". To me, those are the same things. So LT, does it crank but not start? Or does it do nothing for the first few minutes and [i]then[/i] crank over?

It could be your cam timing sensor but that should throw a code because there are emission sensors that get some information from it.

A fuel pump sounds like a good FIRST educated guess simply because, if it [i]does[/i] CRANK but not start after shutting down, it would seem that the fuel is run out of the system and the cranking is required to repressurize the system.

If it were mine (and it DOES INDEED crank), I would see if you have fuel pressure in the system immediatley after shut down. There is a schader valve on the fuel rail (passenger side) that you can press (have a rag handy) to see if fuel squirts out. If not...I'd begin by first looking at the fuel pump as a possible source of your maladies.

My humble .03

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coach3rd !!
• Chesapeake, VA, USA
• Registered on 1/21/2003
• 43 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/3/2003 12:52
Can you keep it running at all by tapping your gas pedal? Check the IAC (idle air control valve) I have a 2000 V-10 and had to replace mine at 35k.
Cost me $100.00 at the dealer.
edited 12/3/2003 12:53
FlagshipOne
• Woodbridge, VA, USA
• Registered on 9/17/2004
• 16 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/27/2004 09:50
I recently had the same challenges and after a bit of diagnosis at the dealership we pulled the fuel pump from the tank. at the base of the pump is a screen of sorts at it had gotten clogged up from residue left in the tank from bad gas. once it was cleaned it ran like a charm!

LANDYOT  SuperMotors Member
Sponsor
Subscriber
Subscriber since 11/23/2003
• Newport News, VA, USA
• Registered on 7/15/2003
• 1,110 posts
Posted:12/27/2004 11:58
If you end up having the fuel tank dropped, I'd suggest replacing the fuel pump and filter anyway just while they're easy to get to. Then, at least, those parts will be 43K miles newer.
Michael Gail
• Sierra Madre, CA, USA
• Registered on 5/1/2003
• 138 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/28/2004 14:07
I had a similar problem with both my '77 Ford Van with the 460cid engine and my '93 Chevy Blazer [full size] with the 350cid engine. The problem in both cases was the electronic ignition module. When the Chevy died it died DEAD. The Ford could be restarted and ran for some time before it died again. Sometimes that was several days.

Mike
'02 EX, Limited, 4X4 , PSD, Nitto, Terra Grapplers 295/16, K&N Air Filter, Billet Grill, Hidden Hitch. Magnaflow SS Exhaust system with 3.5" downpipe, 4" main and 5" tip. Banks Six-Gun Power Module, Banks TransCommand.
LANDYOT  SuperMotors Member
Sponsor
Subscriber
Subscriber since 11/23/2003
• Newport News, VA, USA
• Registered on 7/15/2003
• 1,110 posts
Posted:12/28/2004 19:29
If the ignition module was faulty, wouldn't that throw a "check engine" code?
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Excursion keeps dying. Please Help!
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 8   |   Total Posts: 10   |   Total Views: 12805
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog