FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Gas Engine Excursions
The dreaded pulsing brake issue
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 6   |   Total Views: 2544
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
Wes Gardner
• Annapolis, MD, USA
• Registered on 5/7/2003
• 9 posts
Posted:8/4/2003 20:58
Hey All,

Looks like it caught up to me too. Is the solution an all or nothing or can one rotor (preferably the warped one ) be changed out one at a time.

X now has 41K on the clock.

What a great feeling to have six people w/ camping gear and the wakeboard boat on the trailer passin' cars like they were standin' still going up the mountains to the lake - Ha!

However, this was when the pulsing brake issue was quite pronounced (coming down the mountain - no trailer brakes...)

Wes
RS-TX
• Little River, TX, USA
• Registered on 11/22/2002
• 298 posts
Posted:8/5/2003 08:12
Hey, Wes,

my X has just started the brake "shimmy" when slowing from high speeds. I can't really tell just around town. I'm going to take it to the local dealership tomorrow (hopefully) and let them check it out. I'll let you know what they say.

Rick

2004 VW Jetta TDI
Wes Gardner
• Annapolis, MD, USA
• Registered on 5/7/2003
• 9 posts
Posted:8/5/2003 19:32
Hey Rick,

Mine was/is really pronounced when towing something (no surprise there). We have a local shop that has been keeping my wife's Toyota Cressida alive (250K on the clock) VERY affordably as in I think they really know what they're doing so I'm going to let them have a look maybe tomorrow or the next day.

Wes

2000 X XLT pretty much stock...
edited 8/5/2003 19:32
rozett
• Limington, ME, USA
• Registered on 1/10/2003
• 163 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/5/2003 21:10
Technically, there is no reason why you can't replace a single rotor. My wife had a Merc wagon years ago that had a rotor snap. They replaced it. About 6 months later, Ford came out with a recall on the rotors because they rusted and snapped off the hub. We brought it in and they replaced the other front rotor and (surprisingly) refunded us the cost of doing the previous one.

But if you go to your local dealer or garage, they are likely to tell you that you have to do both rotors on an axle (NTW told us this). Probably cause they come two to a box.

//bruce

2000 Excursion Limited V10 4x4
ART brakes, Rancho RSX shocks, Hellwig rear sway bar, SD grille, V10 badges, Sylvania Silverstars, clear corners, and Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 285s.
edited 8/5/2003 21:11
Pharmer
• Mackinaw City, MI, USA
• Registered on 12/19/2002
• 52 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:8/13/2003 21:02
I had the Ford dealer turn the rotors at 60k miles for pulsation. They kept the pads which had been replaced at 17 k for a rattle. Now at 65k still good, rears remain untouched.
shiepo
• carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/23/2011
• 75 posts
Posted:8/26/2011 20:37
hi guys Well, I\\\\'ve been reading about everyone\\\\'s brake problems. Just in the past week or so, I have noticed my brakes pulsing on my toyota. I have made an appointment with the local Toyota dealer. My Tundra has 35300 miles and back in April I replaced the toyota brake pads. My question is here - will the aftermarket pads be a problem and should I bring a copy of the brake TSB? thanks for any help
edited 8/30/2011 20:08
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Gas Engine Excursions
The dreaded pulsing brake issue
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 6   |   Total Views: 2544
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog