FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Alternator or Regulator problem?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 4   |   Total Views: 1064
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
David Haile
• Fort Collins, CO, USA
• Registered on 12/12/2002
• 9 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:9/3/2003 15:16
I have a 2000 7.3l X - been having a problem for at least 9 months. The charging system just won't keep up with the near-constant 1-3 mile trips that my wife takes to carpool the kids around. I need to do a full overnight recharge every month or so. It is fine for long trips. The in-dash voltage idiot guage never reads above 16V or so. I'm guessing the problem is in the voltage regulator, but it may be that the alternator just doesn't put out enough amps. How do I diagnose where the problem lies?

David Haile
Fort Collins, CO
Dave Sullivan
• Kitchener, XX, Canada
• Registered on 2/27/2003
• 199 posts
Posted:11/21/2003 11:09
Hey Dave.

Your might want to check the charging wire connection on the top of your alternator.
Ford uses a cheap crimp connection to attach the wire onto the cheap steel connector which attaches to your alternator connection.

If the wire is running hot and there is any indication of burning or britleness chances are this is your problem. The alternator tends to run hot as well.

Just nip off the old connector and put a good new one on and your charging problem is solved.

I am going to put a more detailed post up.

Dave
David Haile
• Fort Collins, CO, USA
• Registered on 12/12/2002
• 9 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/21/2003 11:23
Thanks! I'm still having trouble and will definitely checkout the wire as you suggest. I'm starting to think that it is related to the glow plugs or glow plug relay.
summerscheifer
• Carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/26/2010
• 50 posts
Posted:4/26/2012 02:56
Quote:
Thanks! I\\'m still having trouble and will definitely checkout the wire as you suggest. I\\'m starting to think that it is related to the glow plugs or glow plug relay.

im encountering the same trouble before but my mechanic fix that already. alternators is the problem. how about yours? i\\'ll ask my mechanic on what does he do to fix mine. i\\'ll update you on this.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Alternator or Regulator problem?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 4   |   Total Views: 1064
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog