FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
rear A/C performance
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 4357
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
dbaring
• Dallas, TX, USA
• Registered on 3/6/2005
• 3 posts
Posted:7/23/2005 20:25
I have a 2001 excursion and live in Texas. If I run just the FRONT A/C, it cools down to about 59 degrees coming out of the vents pretty quickly, and then will go down to 51 degrees after a little driving. BUT, as soon as I turn on the REAR A/C, it goes up to about 65 degrees (front) and will not get any cooler, and this is about the same as the rear temp gets coming out of the vents. This is NOT cool enough to get the vehicle cooled down when it is 100 degrees outside.....

Any idea why when I turn on the rear A/C the performance goes down.....
Isn't the freon circulating to the rear unit even if I don't have the FAN turned on.....

Does anyone know exactly what parts are inside the rear unit (is there any kind of compressor that helps pumps the freon other than the main one that may not be turning on or anything like that?

I brought it in and had the freon levels tested (they hooked it up to the guages and tested - they said it looked good)....I did notice that when I picked it up, they had the front fan on highest setting and rear OFF.....if they did the pressure tests with the rear off can that make a difference?

Thanks for any suggestions.
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:7/24/2005 09:19
Hello there neighbor I be in Richardson and can help you with getting your AC temps down without serious modifications

Reason why the temperature increases some 10-15 degrees once the rear is turned on is due to there is a second evaporator for the rear vents.There's roughly 8 times the amount of AC plumbing on the Excursions over the Pickups and for all that operating off one compressor & condensor it's indeed a bloodsucker for optimum performance.

We've modified our Excursion's AC system to where it stays in the 40's with both front and rear on while on the road.

If you'd like to hook up I'd be more than happy to get your AC system working the way it should
Many Excursion and Superduty owners around the internet know how particular I am for the best performance in Excursions

Bill

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

edited 7/24/2005 09:21
Texas4x4
• Tyler, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/25/2003
• 289 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/10/2010 09:31
Hey Bill -

Howdy again!

I was messing around with my A/C yesterday and was also wondering why there's such a drastic drop in temp when I kick on the rear A/C. I thought it might be undercharged but it's in green (or blue - depending on the gauge).

Although I'm in Tyler, now; I'd be VERY interested in dropping my temps to the 40°'s!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kevin Curry
Staff Writer: www.ROCKCRAWLER.com
kevin@texas4x4.com
http://www.texas4x4.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Phillip Beall
• Honey Grove, TX, USA
• Registered on 11/7/2004
• 74 posts
Posted:10/30/2010 21:18
Bill,

I would like to chat with you about this AC upgrade as well. I will drop you a PM. I hope you have not changed your email.

Phillip
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/31/2010 13:41
Quote:
Hey Bill -

Howdy again!

I was messing around with my A/C yesterday and was also wondering why there's such a drastic drop in temp when I kick on the rear A/C. I thought it might be undercharged but it's in green (or blue - depending on the gauge).

Although I'm in Tyler, now; I'd be VERY interested in dropping my temps to the 40°'s!

The AC compressor that is factory installed in our Excursions puts out just enough juice(cooling) for one evaporator,when you add a second evaporator the temps can rise some 10-15 degrees depending on fan speed,MAX or Reg AC and rear fan speed.

Only fix I've found that works is insulating the cold line going to the rear evaporator and cutting off the hot coolant going to the rear heater core so the AC is not effected by the radiant heat from the heater core.

Bill

CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:10/31/2010 13:42
Quote:
Bill,

I would like to chat with you about this AC upgrade as well. I will drop you a PM. I hope you have not changed your email.

Phillip

I'm still around Phillip,drop me a line anytime brother

Bill

Kenniecy
• Lufkin, TX, USA
• Registered on 8/1/2011
• 1 post
Posted:8/1/2011 22:37
Bill,
I'm down in Lufkin and it's mighty hot here too. Is this upgrade a service you sell, a kit, or info for us DIY'ers? I am having some minor problems now and this sounds too good to be true for our family of six.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
rear A/C performance
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 5   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 4357
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog