FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Ex, looking for some advice, suspension et al. Sway bars. Better ride at any budget.
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 1811
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
H1seller
• Memphis, TN, USA
• Registered on 8/10/2006
• 1 post
Posted:8/10/2006 01:35
My 2001 ex 7.3 ps 100k miles rides like a log wagon, no bones about it. It also has a shimmy when I'm on the brakes--and I know the shimmy isn't rotor brake related. Probably tie rod, idler pitman issue. Any way what I'm getting at is I'm about to do some serious work to this truck suspension-wise. What will give me the best ride period, price is no object. Do the make a coil shock resivoir system for a non lifted truck? Are there things I can do with the bump stops?
I even read you could go with a 3 inch suspension lift that would ride much better than stock. It's been my experience that a lifted truck never rides as good as a stock truck. More chassis shake/torsional rigidity issues.
I tow H1's for thousands of miles---so an airbag setup might be nice. 12000lb. trailer. In short, what is the list that I need, and please give me your advice on better solutions.
It will not be an avid off-roader (I have H1'S for that)
Helwig Sway bar kit?
Replace all urethane bushings,
Is there a heavier duty idler pitman set up?
Again money isn't the issue, just getting the right stuff.
Thanks.

Eddie Henson
• Cordova, TN, USA
• Registered on 12/8/2004
• 122 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/11/2006 22:13
Hello fellow Memphian,
Welcome to the forums. You driving a 2wd or 4wd Ex? As for the ride of the Excursion, I changed out my shocks and put on Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks. Then installed Landyots Radius Rods. Have yet to install any kind of sway bar. But those two changes made a big difference in the way my Ex rides and handles. I think Ford changed the style of bumpstops on the Ex in later year models, but I can't recall offhand when that was. As for towing, I've read folks using air bags or add-a leaf to help keep the Ex more level. The brakes on the Ex's are really prone to cause shimmying. I believe the lug nut torque is 165ft/lbs I would check yours to see if the lug nuts are torqued properly before pursuing other problems. Another thing to check would be your brake calipers to see if they are sticking. Can't offer any advice on lift kits, but I'm sure others will chime in that have experience as well.

Eddie Henson
2000 Ford Excursion XLT 7.3L PSD
203 degree Thermo; Factory Tech valve body; CCV mod; HX mod; Rancho RS9000 shocks; Shimmed FPR @ 67; Walker BTM; Evans NPG Coolant; Dieselsite Coolant Filter Kit; Dieselsite Heater Shutoff Valve; Zoodad Mod; WeatherTech In-channel Visors; Acetoned Badges; PSD Badges; Landyot's Gen II Radius Rods
"If you don't like America, Get the hell out !!" - John Rich
summerscheifer
• Carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/26/2010
• 50 posts
Posted:9/1/2011 01:56
Quote:
My 2001 ex 7.3 ps 100k miles rides like a log wagon, no bones about it. It also has a shimmy when I\\'m on the brakes--and I know the shimmy isn\\'t rotor brake related. Probably tie rod, idler pitman issue. Any way what I\\'m getting at is I\\'m about to do some serious work to this truck suspension wise. What will give me the best ride period, price is no object. Do the make a coil shock resivoir system for a non lifted truck? Are there things I can do with the bump stops?
I even read you could go with a 3 inch suspension lift that would ride much better than stock. It\\'s been my experience that a lifted truck never rides as good as a stock truck. More chassis shake/torsional rigidity issues.
I tow H1\\'s for thousands of miles---so an airbag setup might be nice. 12000lb. trailer. In short, what is the list that I need, and please give me your advice on better solutions.
It will not be an avid off-roader (I have H1\\'S for that)
Helwig Sway bar kit?
Replace all urethane bushings,
Is there a heavier duty idler pitman set up?
Again money isn\\'t the issue, just getting the right stuff.
Thanks.

dude i need suspension for my truck.. where did you get yours? and how much? any response is appreciated. thanks!
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Ex, looking for some advice, suspension et al. Sway bars. Better ride at any budget.
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 1811
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog