FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Broken Rear Window Glass
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 8   |   Total Posts: 13   |   Total Views: 10141
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2
BigIronDriver
• Kodiak, AK, USA
• Registered on 2/2/2005
• 6 posts
Posted:3/11/2007 16:19
Hello from Alaska. Anyone have a problem with rear window brakage? One morning last month, I loaded my twins in their X-seats for preschool and when I closed the driver's door, I heard the sound of glass breaking and discovered my rear window was broken. It wasn't broken before shutting the driver's door. It takes a couple of weeks and $1,000 (or your deductable) to have it replaced on Kodiak Island. Not Cool! But wait, it gets better. Yesterday, my wife jumped in to go to town and when she shut the driver's door, CRASH! Back window glass shatters.

The shop that did the repair says, "No warrantee on glass." Also since the same thing happened a month earlier, it probably wasn't a case of faulty glass.

Both times it happened, we had experienced a warming by about 10 degrees the day prior. Also, in the first case, the skys had been clear for several days and then when the window broke, it was pooring rain. The second time, clear skys for several days and then on the day the window broke, it was heavy, blowing snow. Both times, the entire glass shattered, as expected, with the center breaking out, appearently pushed out, and the edges fell off as well. Hope someone can help as I don't relish the thought of spend upwards of $6k a year for glass replacement.

Todd X
2000 PSD, XLT
caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• Registered on 12/4/2004
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/13/2007 23:20
I don't know what to say, there has been some reports of the rear glass braking on the excursions. heck I broke a customer 2001 Excursion rear glass my self while working on it

I also broke a explore rear glass. And some of my coworkers broke the jimmy blazers rear glass. and one blazer rear glass broke when no one was near it! I don't know if its the way we shut them (it did made me more careful to close mine) air pressure difference or temp difference but I do know its not just the excursions have this problem. But other then that, I have no real clue for yours.

--------------------------
I've decided that Xochi was in cahoots with the gas stations to rid me of my bank account. I still and love her.
BigIronDriver
• Kodiak, AK, USA
• Registered on 2/2/2005
• 6 posts
Posted:3/13/2007 23:41
Thank you for the reply. The picture you included looks a lot like my rear window right now, minus the blue tarp (giving it that contemporary, gulf coast roof look) and the snow drifted all around it. The lack of responses tells me I might be a lone-misfortunate-ranger on this one. Once again, I implore anyone with knowledge or suggestions to pipe in on this.

If nothing else, I'd be interested in hearing how many windows others in this forum would go through before taking action, and, just what action would they take? Heck, what would people do if they were in my shoes right now with just two window broken?

I'd also like to hear from any insurance experts out there with regard to just how many windows my insurance company will pay for before taking action, specifically, action like dropping me.

Thanks again to caddys83, and I look forward to hearing from others.

Todd X
2000 PSD, XLT
floundered
• Miami, FL, USA
• Registered on 7/12/2006
• 14 posts
Posted:3/14/2007 00:19
Could the hatch and/or rear doors be out of alignment and putting strain on the glass when the hatch is closed? If I was in your shoes I'd visit a ford dealer (preferrably one with a body shop) and get their opinion. Maybe all they need to do is realign the hatch, doors, latches, etc. Or maybe they'd say that the hatch itself needs to be replaced (which may be part of the insurance claim/coverage).
BigIronDriver
• Kodiak, AK, USA
• Registered on 2/2/2005
• 6 posts
Posted:3/31/2007 12:43
Thanks for the suggestions. I had the window replaced. Not broken after two weeks. We'll see what happens in the next two weeks. If it breaks again, I plan to replace the hatch. If it breaks again after that, I'll relocate to San Diego and just drive around without a rear window.

Todd X
2000 PSD, XLT
Douglas Dircks
• New Richland, MN, USA
• Registered on 11/13/2003
• 118 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:3/31/2007 18:36
This seems to be a common occurance on the Excursions. The X was bought with 104K miles and it's been good to now (171K miles) but I did find a small shard of tinted glass in the rear the first time I cleaned it.

I've been having worse luck with the front passenger side window. Two times in the past two years it's been broken into. First time the horn honked possible scaring the kids into fleeing with nothing. A couple days ago it happened again, this time they took off with my wfies Coach purse with $20 in change. At the time I had about $7K in ice fishing stuff in the back, a gps, etc, and all they took was the purse.

00 Excursion Limited 4x4 PSD 265/75/16 Ravo's Centerline rims Python 871XP
99 F250 x-cab short bed XLT 4x4 PSD 295/75/16 American Racing rims Viper 550 ESP stainless steel MAAP nerf bars Putco four piece grill inserts bumper poles and mud flaps air bags triple pillar pod Autometer Ultra Light fiberglass tannue cover and topper programmed pcm pulling 22 psi
99 F350 crew cab long bed drw Lariat 4x4 PSD 255/85/16 Python 871XP AIS fold down fifth wheel ball
Bill Johnson
• Rio linda, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/11/2002
• 201 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/19/2007 11:46
I also have heard of this, A good friend of mine broke his X back window in the same way, closed it and walked away and it broke. He's a glass guy and was stumped on this one. He replaced it had has been fine ever since.

Me on the other hand, I have an extensive stereo that flexes the windows like you wouldn't belive, I have never had an issue with mine yet. So I don't think it is a pressure thing as more of a at the right temp.

I can get as much of an inch flex out of the back and side windows without any loss so I would bet it has more to do with tempering of the window and the temp change around the truck.

Co- Owner Diablo Audio Technologies
Yahoo IM - kingsuv00

If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

JohnBoy
• DFW, TX, USA
• Registered on 9/3/2002
• 972 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:4/20/2007 17:23
Common occurence ?!! Really ?

This is probably the ONLY time I've ever hear of it

2005 6.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer Ex
2003 6.0L 4x4 Limited Ex - traded in (BooHoo)
"The Republicans should back off and let men marry men, women marry women, and legalize abortion. In three generations there would be no Democrats."
Bill Johnson
• Rio linda, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/11/2002
• 201 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/24/2007 16:35
Here's me tring to break my back windows.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/kingsuv/?action=view¤t=Melsbassrace-1.flv

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/kingsuv/?action=view¤t=Bills139.flv

Co- Owner Diablo Audio Technologies
Yahoo IM - kingsuv00

If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

edited 4/24/2007 16:36
LJinAK
• anchorage, AK, USA
• Registered on 5/25/2007
• 1 post
Posted:5/25/2007 21:26
The back window in our 2005 Excursion has broken twice in six months, both times the breakage occurred while closing the rear door. Initally we thought it was cold weather related, very cold in Anchorage in February, however this time it is almost 50 degrees> argh.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Broken Rear Window Glass
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 8   |   Total Posts: 13   |   Total Views: 10141
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog