FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Front brakes
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 8   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 2416
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
lawman1989
• Perry Hall, MD, USA
• Registered on 2/13/2005
• 18 posts
Posted:9/27/2007 16:04
My X had a fair amount of vibration at 40,000. I decided to change the front brakes due to all the warp issues with the X. This was my first time doing this with my truck. I was surprised to find that only about half the pad was used, I expected more wear. I took the rotors and had them turned. Bought new pads which were hard as heck to get in with those darn springs.
Made it easier by wraping a rubber band around them to get them in the caliper. After all is said and done I still have soem vibration at higher speeds when applying brakes. I think the rotors are still a little warped.
Are the ART rotors that good or can I find a pair at a local shop?
poormonkey
• Chicago, IL, USA
• Registered on 7/27/2004
• 59 posts
Posted:10/1/2007 10:17
When I did all my brakes, I replaced the rotors with Ford Motorsport rotors. I got a good price through a local parts store, and I haven't had any vibration issues at all. ART might make a better rotor, but their price is a lot higher then what I paid for the FMS rotors....

2002 Excursion 4x4 7.3L
lawman1989
• Perry Hall, MD, USA
• Registered on 2/13/2005
• 18 posts
Posted:10/3/2007 16:15
Thanks for the info, I will look into them.
monsta
• The Big Island, HI, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2002
• 1,056 posts
2 Vehicles
Posted:10/5/2007 15:29
If you don't feel it when you're at a slow speed then I doubt your rotors are "warped" (which is a myth BTW).

You may want to double check your ball joints. Worn ones will cause high speed braking vibration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clubseal
• Cherry Hill, NJ, USA
• Registered on 7/21/2005
• 1 post
Posted:10/7/2007 08:08
Front brakes are a real problem since the change in '88. I've gone through 4 sets of Ford's best. Finally did some real research and bought Nascar type Perfomance Friction 2 part rotors. I have driven 100K on them and they are still awesome.
Todd
Ian Robertson
• Toronto, XX, Canada
• Registered on 10/16/2002
• 4 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/30/2007 16:15
Read a brake article for my ford SHO. Found out cheap rotors + cheap pads = rotor warp. Expensive rotors + cheap pads = rotor warp. Expensive pads + cheap rotors = no rotor warp. Expensive pads + expensive rotors = no rotor warp. Conclusions, spend your money on good pads, replace rotors with good [not the most expensive] rotors, DO NOT have rotors turned [takes out mass leading to quicker rotor warp] and season or bed new brake pads properly to get max trouble free life out of brakes.
Mark Rychel
• Chesterland, OH, USA
• Registered on 3/10/2003
• 54 posts
Posted:3/15/2008 08:47
I changed to ART Rotors at about 50,000 after having the fronts turned once. I have been very pleased with the results. On my previous EX 2000 I had problems with warping after they were changed to factory rotors and did not want this to happen again.

With price of Diesel here, it looks like I won't be driving the EX as much, so i should get more years out of the rotors.

Mark
rmwitt
• gilroy, CA, USA
• Registered on 10/21/2007
• 8 posts
Posted:8/16/2008 23:17
x03 owner:
I don't know if my rotors were wrapped, but i had bad vibration when braking hard or soft. With all i read, i decided to replace the rotors and brakes at 75k miles. i bought the parts at

http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?&dv=0408&ad=google

slotted and drilled - They work great -- no vibration when braking, and very smooth, solid braking.
shiepo
• carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/23/2011
• 75 posts
Posted:2/16/2012 01:18
Quote:
My X had a fair amount of vibration at 40,000. I decided to change the front brakes due to all the warp issues with the X. This was my first time doing this with my truck. I was surprised to find that only about half the pad was used, I expected more wear. I took the rotors and had them turned. Bought new pads which were hard as heck to get in with those darn springs.
Made it easier by wraping a rubber band around them to get them in the caliper. After all is said and done I still have soem vibration at higher speeds when applying brakes. I think the rotors are still a little warped.
Are the ART rotors that good or can I find a pair at a local shop?

where did you bought your brake? im planning to have one. please let me know asap. thanks.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Front brakes
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 8   |   Total Posts: 9   |   Total Views: 2416
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog