FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Auto locking hubs-2004 6.0 Diesel Excursion
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 3822
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
jeff2011
• Twentynine Palms, CA, USA
• Registered on 9/7/2009
• 5 posts
Posted:9/7/2009 15:22
I've experienced clunking/knocking sounds when making moderate to severe sharp turns (i.e. in parking lots, getting into parking spaces).

I brought my Excursion to a local Ford dealer and was informed the problem was auto-locking hubs that won't unlock (i.e. staying engaged). I was quoted a replacement cost of $350 per hub and about $190 total labor (total cost about $900 to replace).

I was also told that hubs stuck in the locked position will add wear and tear on my axle support bearings, causing them to eventually be replaced (about $800 in parts alone)

My questions:
1. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, how did you resolve?
2. What is more desirable: manual or auto-locking hubs?
3. What is the worst-case scenario if the hubs stay locked over a long period of time?
4. What is the vacuum signal?
5. Is there a lower-cost solution to this problem?
6. Is this a safety issue?

Thanks,
jeff2011
aklim
• Hartford, WI, USA
• Registered on 2/20/2006
• 133 posts
Posted:9/7/2009 21:39
Quote:
1. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, how did you resolve?
2. What is more desirable: manual or auto-locking hubs?
3. What is the worst-case scenario if the hubs stay locked over a long period of time?
4. What is the vacuum signal?
5. Is there a lower-cost solution to this problem?
6. Is this a safety issue?

Thanks,
jeff2011

1. Sorta. Mine broke and didn't engage. Solution? Got hubs from a mechanic that were replaced under warranty that were good.

2. I prefer auto since usually, when I need them, I hate to get out of the cab in the muck to engage them.

3. Hard to turn and causes driveline wear.

4. That is the signal to tell the hubs to engage.

5. Possibly. Find someone selling the hubs used or steal them.

6. Kinda. Not sure I want to drive around in 4WD. Are you sure they are engaging all the time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-locking-hub-Ford-F-series_W0QQitemZ170378775260QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27ab5dcadc&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

01 Excursion. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS Air Filter system, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F6 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BDP Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear. Billet thermostat housing
shiepo
• carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 6/23/2011
• 75 posts
Posted:7/2/2012 21:45
having the same problem and i dont know how can i solve this one. i am looking for parts for automotive but i failed to look a good one. please help me on this. thanks!
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Auto locking hubs-2004 6.0 Diesel Excursion
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 3   |   Total Views: 3822
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog