FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Thinking of trading truck for Ex
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 6   |   Total Views: 1666
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
Thekid
• Loveland, CO, USA
• Registered on 5/26/2005
• 67 posts
Posted:12/2/2009 10:17
My wife's van has hit 250k miles and it's time to start thinking about a replacement. With another child on the way (which will make for 5 total) I'm thinking of getting an Excursion for the extra seating.

If I do this I will sell the van off and trade my truck ('01 F350 CC LB PSD) in for the Excursion as I can't really justify having two large vehicles like that. I will strictly be looking at a diesel Excursion.

Should I go for a 6.0 Excursion or stick with a 7.3?

What are the REAL issues with the 6.0? I know people were unhappy with them when they first arrived but are they as bad as the internet makes them out to be?

Did the 6.0 start in the Excursion in '04 as well?

I was hoping to get the quieter 6.0, since this will be my wife's vehicle, but I also don't want a $$ pit.

Any other things with the Excursion to think about?
eazrider
• Phoenix, AZ, USA
• Registered on 4/18/2007
• 7 posts
Posted:12/2/2009 10:25
I have a late '03 6.0, have 35" tires, EDGE with Attitude chip, have 72,000 miles, get 18mpg in town, 20-21 on the highway at 70mph, and must be leading a charmed life, as other than a stuck EGR valve, have had no other 6.0 related problems. (knock on wood)...Oh yeah, I did suffer a broken water pump pulley last summer...
aklim
• Hartford, WI, USA
• Registered on 2/20/2006
• 133 posts
Posted:12/2/2009 10:45
Do you have a reason for the diesel? Reason I asked is that the Excursion springs are pretty soft so you probably will have to beef it up if you want to tow heavy. If you are on this board, look at what is offered by Landyot. I HIGHLY recommend it. The only reason I got rid of mine was that there were some issues with the springs when I went to the U code for the front and A code for the back instead of the V and B coded springs. They were free so the price was right.

7.3 diesel is a good buy, IMO but you might have to search around for one. I had to go 500 miles away because that was where it was. I could have stayed in town if I went with a 6.0. The salesman was wondering why I wanted a 7.3 because he could make a good deal with me on a 6.0. I asked why he was having 2 yo 6.0s and no 7.3s. Reason was the 7.3 drivers were driving them into the ground. Still didn't answer why I was having so much difficulty finding a 7.3 in 06 when there were tons of 6.0s in 06 unless you were figuring that the 6.0 drivers were upset with their purchase.

That said, I believe the 6.0s were finally gotten right after 06 but people have said it is a hit or miss deal. OTOH, The diesel techs love the 6.0 because it makes them money. In fact, when I brought my 7.3 in, it was the first one they worked on for a week while they have plenty of experience with the 6.0. Take it FWIW.

01 Excursion. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS Air Filter system, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F6 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BDP Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear. Billet thermostat housing
americanpursuit
• Columbus, OH, USA
• Registered on 12/25/2009
• 3 posts
Posted:12/25/2009 18:27
7.3 all the way!!! 6.0's are JUNK...I am a dealer and cannot GIVE away a 6.0 liter. I get a 7.3 and people are tripping over each other to buy it.
Douglas Dircks
• New Richland, MN, USA
• Registered on 11/13/2003
• 118 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:12/30/2009 20:39
You can't go wrong with a forged rod 7.3. In order to do that you will need a 2000 MY and some very early 2001's.

Other than that the next best would be a late run 03 7.3.

All the people I know with 6.0's have issues. Some have had motors blow up. All the people I know with 7.3's have never even had the valve covers off!

Been lucky so far to not have to trade any of the 7.3's in. As a matter of fact my wife the other reminded me she still wants a white crew cab short bed 4x4. Told her we'd look into one in the Spring... My first year would be 2000 or late 99's.

00 Excursion Limited 4x4 PSD 265/75/16 Ravo's Centerline rims Python 871XP
99 F250 x-cab short bed XLT 4x4 PSD 295/75/16 American Racing rims Viper 550 ESP stainless steel MAAP nerf bars Putco four piece grill inserts bumper poles and mud flaps air bags triple pillar pod Autometer Ultra Light fiberglass tannue cover and topper programmed pcm pulling 22 psi
99 F350 crew cab long bed drw Lariat 4x4 PSD 255/85/16 Python 871XP AIS fold down fifth wheel ball
summerscheifer
• Carson, CA, USA
• Registered on 11/26/2010
• 50 posts
Posted:8/22/2011 21:19
Quote:
My wife's van has hit 250k miles and it's time to start thinking about a replacement. With another child on the way (which will make for 5 total) I'm thinking of getting an Excursion for the extra seating.

If I do this I will sell the van off and trade my trucks ('01 F350 CC LB PSD) in for the Excursion as I can't really justify having two large vehicles like that. I will strictly be looking at a diesel Excursion.

Should I go for a 6.0 Excursion or stick with a 7.3?

What are the REAL issues with the 6.0? I know people were unhappy with them when they first arrived but are they as bad as the internet makes them out to be?

Did the 6.0 start in the Excursion in '04 as well?

I was hoping to get the quieter 6.0, since this will be my wife's vehicle, but I also don't want a $$ pit.

Any other things with the Excursion to think about?

hi there if you are thinking of trading your truck im willing to trade mine. thanks.
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
Thinking of trading truck for Ex
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 6   |   Total Posts: 6   |   Total Views: 1666
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog