FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
2003 6.0 Yes or no?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 1677
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
djtarnow
• Chisholm, MN, USA
• Registered on 3/6/2012
• 2 posts
Posted:4/25/2012 08:22
I’m looking really hard at an 03X with the 6.0L. Little under 100K for mileage, and very clean. The price seems reasonable to me.
Thanks to this site and a few others, I’ve really tried to do my homework on the 6.0L I know the earlier ones had some issues, but it’s been out long enough that solutions have been found for all the problems. I've gone through 20+ pages of posts so far and a couple of them say the 04 and 05 is much better than the 03, but I really haven’t found a lot as far as details. Are they comparing to the 03’s with the 7.3 or were the 6.0’s in 03 really that bad?

If I do buy, I would be the third owner of the truck. I happened to find out who the previous owner was and had a chance to talk to him about the vehicle and why he got rid of it. I believe it was well taken care of, he put gages up to monitor vitals, but never chipped or tuned it.

He told me he had replaced some of the injectors and had put on the EGR delete. The dealer I am looking at buying it from say they put in a new EGR cooler as they couldn’t sell a vehicle with emission equipment missing.

At some point I’d like to do the intake, exhaust, and a programmer of some sort. Nothing radical, but I like a little responsiveness, and better towing and mileage than stock.

Am I going to have issues with the EGR cooler? Are ARP head studs necessary with less than +75HP tune? Are injectors just going to be a fact of life that I will have to replace them every so often?

If I do buy the vehicle, it will be a toy hauler. Usually pulling a light boat or 4 place snowmobile trailer. I would very rarely pull a 10k loaded equipment trailer.
Is a well maintained 03 capable of the tasks above or would I be better off holding out for an 04 or 05?

Thanks in advance for any input.
MountainWestDiesel
• Mountain West, WY, USA
• Registered on 2/25/2011
• 95 posts
Posted:4/25/2012 15:21
Brother...

The EGR has been an issue w/ the 6.0L PSD. The owner who by-passed it, did so for all the right reasons, in terms of the engine's design flaws. ARP Headstuds are not required unless you plan on huge tows, larger injectors, bigger turbos, for all these obviously increase HP and preseeure inside the block. Do not get me wrong, ARP headstuds are not a bad idea, and they are on my list, but they are at the very end.

You can check out my '05 Ex's stats. I stuck w/ Banks, and have nothiong but positive things to say about the experience. At summer's end, I will complete the tow upgrade by adding a Banks torque converter. The Biss Hoss Bundle I purchased, added over 100 HP and 200 ft/lbs of torque. The new converter will increase the torque to around 1000 ft/lbs. Banks offered me a one step solution: Intake, Inter-cooler, programmable chip and exhaust. But pick and choose what you feel is best. There are a few folks on this site who mix and match these components, who have gotten good results as well. I just enjoyed ordering 1 complete system, that is from a very reputable company, and have been pleased.

In reference to all the 6.0L PSD "isms"... I found this link rather useful:

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/6.0_problems.html

-MWD

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Powerstroke Excursions
2003 6.0 Yes or no?
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 2   |   Total Posts: 2   |   Total Views: 1677
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog